Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

how to reduce my scopes movement

Try making sure the mount legs are at there lowest setting so the scope is as low as possible. You could also add some weight to the accessory tray to try and make the mount more steady. Dont overdo it as I seem to recall the Astromaster has quite a weak tripod from a mechanical point of view.

Make sure all the nuts, bolts and screws on the mount are fully tightened - thay can loosen over time. Adding some weight to the mount will also help as AB says. Hanging a plastic bottle with some water or sand in from the accessory tray on the mount is one method that I've seen used. I suspect that the mount does not do the scope justice - that's quite common with scopes, even quite expensive ones.

Is it, perhaps, the right ascention worm/gear having excessive slack? I have had that happen plenty of times. My solution to that was to apply a dod of locktite to the threads on the wee brass preload bush to prevent it from becoming unscrewed when slewing left, then reset the preload. It seems to have worked, thus far.

when im using my scope it tends to shake alot when looking through the eyepiece.

Does the drawtube wobble a lot? Mine did, in fact mine wobbled about so much that it was almost impossible to keep something centred.

To fix it just take it out the two screws that hold the focuser in and carefully remove the focuser. Then slide the drawtube out, wrap some duct tape round it and put it back together.

DSC00091-1.jpgDSC00092-1.jpg

I tried a few different types of tape before settling on duct tape, you might want to do the same if you don't get a nice snug fit. You should be able to feel it pinch but it shouldn't be so tight that you have to force it in.

What type of surface do you have the scope on? I have tried using my dob on my wooden decking and even when not touching the scope my heart beat causes the the scope to shake. I now observe from an area in the garden with the scope on paving slabs and everything is good, no vibrations.

If your surface is solid then unless you were out in windy conditions then its probably your tripod, either mechanical or something more inherent.

I've just noticed in your sig that your in Dumfries, how near are you to the forest park?

Archived