Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hi

Does anyone know if i can buy a heavy duty Pier to fix a eq6 to or anyone who makes them.

cheers. As I am knew to this i have been doing alot of reading and from what i can make out is that it is better to have a solid pier so i think i shall do that instead of a tripod if i can get one.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes i do want a permanant mount as i think it will be easer to set up every time i use it. And when i get used to every thing i might go for a bigger scope to get more light as i have a ED100, oh and what is the biggest tube i could mount myed100 on with a eq6.

cheers

Right then, joking aside, I am currently trying to come up with a simple design for a pier which will index the EQ6 head so that it goes back in the same way every time I take it off. The HEQ5 is easier to sort in this respect as it has a machined spigot underneath which can be used to line it up each time its mounted (see scrapheap challenge pier in the workshop section). However the EQ6 mount head doesn't have the appropriate parts sticking out underneath so I may have to cobble up an adapter plate which is lined up to the pier with dowel pins or similar.

The plan is to avoid using the supplied azimuth knobs as that way I can get the alignment right each time without fiddling. The altitude setting will remain fixed, hopefully, so that it is totally plug and play as per HEQ5.

Any clues welcomed at this stage guys.

PS Plan B is a roll off shed to let me keep the 'scope permanently mounted and do away with this polar bear alignment once its sorted out.

Captain Chaos

:D I have just bought a 16" f/5 mirror set

Where from Arthur?

BTW I seem to remember you posting a picture of a big Dob that was powered by Meade DS motors, have you still got it? I;ve got the parts here...

That big dob (20") belonged to Steve Chambers and yes, it had full Autostar goto. Was rather slow getting anywhere though so we'd have to push to a target and then sync on it to start the tracking. I would not wish the building of another one on anybody - it took ages to get the right (correct) angle on the Az drive cone alone :D

Arthur

Archived