NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

webcam

Standard webcams aren't usually used for guiding as they are not sensitive enough to be able to pick up stars. The Meade LPI is supposed to be able to be used as a guider, but I cannot confirm that. The lens on a Toucam SPC900 is held in place by a clip which can be removed and then the lens is unscrewed and a nosepiece attached.

Toucams can be modified for long exposure and can then be used as guide cams, but this requires the addition of extra circuitry to allow this.

Here is a price list for the cost of modifying a webcam to allow long exposures (note the price does not include the cost of the webcam) Astronomiser - Automated Astronomy and AstroImaging Solutions

You could also try to purchase a second hand meade DSI to use as a guide cam.

Peter

Hi,

I use my unmodded Phillips SPC900 webcam as a guide cam very successfully, without the need for long-exposure modification. Using the Skymax 90 as the guidescope, plus PHD Guiding, I have managed to guide on stars down to mag 5 or 6 without too much trouble. There are usually stars at least as bright as that somewhere in the neighbourhood of the target to guide on.

Best wishes,

Archived