Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Some Sketches From Friday Night

pbyrne

Hi all

Late Friday night early Saturday morning I got out and grabbed some clusters from more southerly locations.

Hope you like them.

M41

4297044263_4b803d5b25_b.jpg

NGC 2264

4297789186_edd69dee31_b.jpg

NGC 2244

4297789416_0757ca3538_b.jpg

M93

4297043991_cdd97d2aa3_b.jpg

M48

4297788426_bb298c17f8_b.jpg

This was one of those rare nights when the seeing was good and the southern horizon was relatively clear of mists and haze.

I observed such objects as the moon, M81/82, M97, some double stars and took a glance at Mars to get a nice variety of objects.

Thanks for looking.

Good work there Paul. Five cluster sketches in one night is excellent going. Really like all of them. :)

On that evening my eyes were cast with envy at the meto satellite images showing Ireland and West Scotland crystal clear while I was sat under cloud. Oh well...I'm sure it can't stay cloudy forever over this way..!

Thanks for the kind words.

Five in one night is rare, I guess everything just came together, though I did feel at the last sketch that I was getting tired and I know that I'll go back and sketch it again.

I'm not too long at the sketching game myself, I love clusters and the one thing I can advise is to take your time. Keep going back and forth from the eyepiece to the sketch until you get the sketch you're happy with. Look for patterns, strings, triangles, squares and work around them.

It is advised to use a pencil, so that mistakes can be erased, I like to use a fine point pen, 0.1 nib, I find that this makes me concentrate more as any mistake could mean redrawing it all over again.

I suppose the best advice I can give is to enjoy it, that's what astronomy is all about.

Archived