Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

I NEED SCOPE!!!

I had a Tal 1 reflector 4.5" as my first proper scope and it blew my socks off. I could still spend a happy night observing with that scope. It was F7.5 and no idea about the mirror other than it was good! A fantastic 1st scope on a very solid eq mount. Can't be motorised so no good for deep sky imaging but all the same, a great way to get started for around £170. They come along second hand from time to time as well and because they are built like tanks I guess they are generally sound. Stay in collimation as well. Won't come close to the views of James' dob though.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just picture A Tal1 built the same size as James 10" Dob' ..... you'd need an engine hoist to lift it

:shock: wouldnt ya just :D, they are excellent scopes i must admit those Tal's and the build of them well ulmost Tank like..

Thanks for all the great advice guys, I wasn't sure if anyone would post.

When I was a wee lad my Dad got me a Tasco (don't laugh) 6" reflector. Unfortunately it was damaged and by the time it was rendered inoperable I'd realised that it wasn't really worth spending money repairing. So, I left it for a few years and I'm now very interested in picking up where I left off. Earlier this year I picked up some no-name 3" Reflector which has allowed me to view bits and pieces, kind of feeding the craving whilst I've got no cash.

Looking over the advice given it seems I may wait a little while until my mind is truly made up (and hopefully I'll have some more money in the bag). I certainly like the look of the revelation though.

Myg0t

Like most scopes you can 1000's of objects just dont expect hubble like images or even the ones posted on SGL through the eyepiece..

I can vouch for that! I only have a little Meade ETX and the images certainly aren’t Hubble (or even 10” dob), M31 looks like nothing more than a finger print smudge in the sky, but wow, what a rush when you find the object you’re seeking! May not be the best by a long, long way, but almost any half decent scope will still make you hungry for more night viewing.

Hope you get what you want, but don't rush your decision and don't be fooled by the Tascos et el of this world. :D

Like most scopes you can 1000's of objects just dont expect hubble like images or even the ones posted on SGL through the eyepiece..

I can vouch for that! I only have a little Meade ETX and the images certainly aren’t Hubble (or even 10” dob), M31 looks like nothing more than a finger print smudge in the sky, but wow, what a rush when you find the object you’re seeking! May not be the best by a long, long way, but almost any half decent scope will still make you hungry for more night viewing.

:D :D I recognise that feeling gs!

Archived