SLR Camera's

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Take a look in my widefield album there are quite a few shots taken with an Astrotrac and a DSLR. I also seen some very good shots at longer focal length using 3-4" refractors.

Stargazers Lounge - BeyondVision's Album: Widefield

Regards

Kevin

Thanks Kevin. I have admired your images for a while. Granted my skies are not as dark as yours but they aint too bad. I think for those nights i just want to go out with the camera and take nice shots..........an astrotrac is in order.

I assume i can mount one on a Horizon 8115 tripod?

Thanks Kevin. I have admired your images for a while. Granted my skies are not as dark as yours but they aint too bad. I think for those nights i just want to go out with the camera and take nice shots..........an astrotrac is in order.

I assume i can mount one on a Horizon 8115 tripod?

Yes it should be ok, you will need two tripod heads preferably a Manfrotto Junior Geared Head (or equivalent) and a ball head or pan and tilt head. The geared head allows you to easily adjust the polar alignment. The Ball head or pan and tilt allows you to adust the camera position.

Regards

Kevin

I'll echo that is worth reading up on this first, and I'd recommend the EOS 1000D. I'd also echo that once you start down this road, you will find that there is always something else you need to buy, upgrade, replace or tweak, to improve the images you do get.

M.

Hi There,

I was given a SkyScout Scope 90 for Christmas (not quite the NexStar 127SLT that I hoped for). :)

When I mentioned this to my friend, who's a photography student, we came up with the idea of trying our hand at afocal astrophotography using her Nikon D40. What results should we expect using my SSS 90 and her Nikon D40? Would we get any decent planetary images?

Many Thanks

TT123

Good evening all,

Just to let you all know that I ended up going for the Canon EOS 500D and so ended up spending a little more than I had budgeted for!..... woops!

I believe that I know need to get an adaptor for the scope to link up with the camera and so will start the search soon!

Out of interest, does anyone know what setting to use on the camera for taking pictures of the night sky? I for some reason can not get the camera to take pics out in the dark! The manual is like a bible which I will read but thought some one may be able to provide a quick users guide!??

Thanks again!

Jon

probably need to set to M and adjust your ISO as required

Yep that is a good way to start imaging the night sky with a DSLR. Set it to "M" and then adjust the ISO level. Another good but very lazy way of doing things is to set the camera to A-Dep.

Play around with EVERY setting on the camera and take MANY images on different exposure times,ISO setting etc from your location until you get something that you are happy with. Also for imaging the night sky try all the diifferent White Balance settings. I find from my location that Tungstun works best. You will soon learn what works best for you from your location. Some images will show nothing but HORRIBLE orange skyglow, while others will show beautiful bright stars against a black sky.

It is all about trial and error.

Here is a site that i find GREAT as an introduction to astro-imaging. It covers ALL angles/subjects:

http://www.astropix.com/HTML/I_ASTROP/TOC_AP.HTM

Welcome to the world of SLR photography. Life will never be the same again.

Archived