Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Collimation is finaly here :(

Ok after avoiding this subject i have had my scope now for around 5 months and feel i have to face it like a man :)

2 questions what would be easier the lazer tool thingy or a

Celestron ColliCap ?

Regards

You do really need both......

All the collicap does is allows you to adjust your secondary so you can see your three primary mirror clips. A sight tube does a similar thing but as most sight tubes are long, this makes there field of vision narrower so you cannot see the mirror clips.

If money is tight then a collicap can do the job as all you have to do is align the donut in the circle but a laser or cheshire is more accurate.

Yea, use the cheshire (I have the ascension one, £17). I had to collimate my 150p out of the box having never done it before, but found it a breeze... done in 5min (though I only needed to adjust the secondary mirror).

The only thing you will need to be mindful of is the size of the hole you will be looking through, it was so small it took my eye a couple of min to decide what to focus on.

I use a combination of all three methods. Starting with the colly cap, then a laser, then the chesire. Works well, but with imaging, collimation is critical.

If you can get a decent laser, and provided your focusser isnt too sloppy, then they are by FAR the easiest method to use single handedly, especially when adjusting the primary, and excellent for ensuring the 2ndry is pointing squarely at the centre of the primary.

If you just do visual, a laser alone will get you where you want to be very very quickly.

You cant beat mk1 eyeball for accuracy though when it comes to checking everything is square and aligned as it should be.

James at FLO has been using a technique which guarantess perfect collimation I hear, but I havent seen it in action.

James at FLO has been using a technique which guarantess perfect collimation I hear, but I havent seen it in action.

I would like to see it explained. Anything to squeeze more out of my gear is welcome!

Archived