NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

canon tc80n3 prog. timer remote issue...

Hello,

I usually use this item totally manually while sitting at the scope and manually tracking...

However I now want to use a motor tracking mount and leave the camera to do its thing...

Problem.. the timer seems to recognise the mirror 'lock-up' as an actuation and therefore just counts this as an exposure and waits the set exposure time before opening the shutter...

so this cuts the imaging time in half, although gives a good 'dark' sensor cool time between exposures...

Any ideas how to set the tc80 to do both the mirror-lock and then open shuter in one , with a 20/30 sec interval between shots????

Hope this is a bit clearer than the sky is here right now!

Steve

I don't believe it is possible on the TC80N timer, shooting in mirror lock-up mode is not supported as you need three pulses per exposure, one to lift the mirror, one to start exposure and one to end exposure and drop the mirror back down.

Brendan

What about setting the self timer as well ? This works on my 450d with a non canon timer remote. Just add the self timer count to you required exposure. The mirror flips up out of the way when the shutter is activated and the shutter opens after the timer is up.

What about setting the self timer as well ? This works on my 450d with a non canon timer remote. Just add the self timer count to you required exposure. The mirror flips up out of the way when the shutter is activated and the shutter opens after the timer is up.

Does that work for a series of exposures?

if so you have cracked it

Steve

Sure does Steve, I've been operating like this with the timer remote, 450d and various scope/mount configurations (starting with the Konus on the SLT) for about 18 months. I use the 2 second self timer, it's short enough to not be too much of a pain waiting for it to trigger, yet long enough to allow motion to settle, even on the SLT. I set, an initial 10 second timer, to allow me to put the remote down etc, 10 second interval, as many frames as I want to capture, often I'll just set it to 99 and see how many I get, my exposure time (+2 seconds for the self timer).

I don't believe it is possible on the TC80N timer

Works for me, with 40D (and 5D) and a genuine TC80N. Just set the self timer on the camera, as others have said the 2 sec setting is sufficient. Leave the "self timer" setting on the TC80N at zero.

I have now had a 'dry run' with the Timer Remote Controller and yes it seems to work ok on my Canon 10D. I set the camera to self timer which adds 2 seconds to the exposure. The only thing which is frustrating is the self timer light which I cannot turn off. I assume that I cover this with black tape!! On the newer models 450D, 500D, 40D and 50D etc can this function be avoided by a custom function?

Mark

On the newer models 450D, 500D, 40D and 50D etc can this function be avoided by a custom function?

Nope, my 40D sports a 6mm square of duck tape ... lets through enough light to see that it's operating, not enough to blind pilots overflying at 35,000 feet as per factory issue.

Archived