NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

scope ok?

AJE

I think the electronics are designed to withstand colder temperatures, but If it was my setup, and we have had very cold freezing temps for a while, I would have removed the mount and the scope indoors. Sounds wimpish, but I would not care to risk it.

I'm sure others will disagree though. Carlisle was again -17 degrees last night.

Ron.

I haven't any experience of leaving my scope out in the cold, AJE, but I think I would side with Ron here. I don't think I'd like to risk it, particularly if it stays as cold as it is now in the UK (-17 is impressive Ron, we had the balmy temperature of -8 in Cardiff last night. I have never been so glad to have two hot water bottles). The BBC have forecast more snow for South Wales Sunday - Wednesday, so perhaps it'd be best for you to bring it in if your area will be similarly affected.

The most likely "disaster" is that someone will nick it. Frost is not a major problem, even if it gets on the optics, when warmed up it will evaporate cleanly. Don't let melting water - or rain - drip into the electronics though.

the manual of the mount i got recomend to untight the DE and RE axis to store it over time.

removing telescope and mount is recommend i think and keeps the equiptment for longer time in a good condition.

the tripot is allways in the garden or on the balcony ready to use.

Ok cheers for that. It's been out for over a week (I try to polar align and then leave for as long as I dare).

The coldest we've had is is -6 (maybe -7), but that's already happened...

Value wise i suppose replacement value is around (£800+£350+£300) £1450, all the expensive stuff is in the garage...

Maybe I'll move it inside the garage tomorrow.

Cheers.

Mines been out for near 2yrs with no ill effects (touch wood), the only thing I take indoors is the hand controller unit. If I had to set everything up each night I probably wouldn't do as much observing. I must also add my back garden is secure with no access other than through the house...

I would not think the COLD would do much harm, release the clutches, bring the hand controler inside and put a small blanket over the mount, then the WATERPRoOF cover over the top.

As for heavy dew, ask some of the SGL group who were at Kelling Heath the night of the WET DEW, these folks were tipping there laptops sidways and scopes tilted down to let the water run off, they might as well have been oberving in the rain. But after a couple of hours in the Sun, most of the gear came out unscathed.

Archived