Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

My first night with my new telescope

george7378

I spent my first couple of hours with the 130PM I got for Christmas this evening - and what a great time I had.

I didn't see a great range of objects, but that is because of the fun I had observing the same ones for such a long time:

Sights

- The Moon (glorious high-magnification panoramas)

- Jupiter + moons and cloud belts

- M42

- M31

- Betelgeuse

I put my 'scope together this afternoon, and despite the ominous looking cardboard delivery box full of bubble wrap and 'fragile' warnings, I didn't encounter any problems. I needed help to set it up though, as the whole thing is just so heavy.

I started observing as soon as I spotted the Moon outside, at about 15:30. I lugged the new 130PM outside, and placed it on the driveway to calibrate the finderscope and test out the eyepieces. I pointed at the Moon, and spent about 10 minutes getting ready. Then, I pointed the highest-magnification eyepiece I had (65X+2X Barlow = 130X) at the Moon, and was just blown away!

The Sun hadn't even set yet, but I was able to see amazing, detailed, magnified landscapes close to the North Pole, with the dense collection of craters springing out as an undulating, barren desert in the eyepiece. I was able to see the small channels on the smoother areas, and towards the pole, I could see the shapes of the tiny impact uplifts in the centre of some craters, and could see the shadows they were casting on the rest of the landscape. I was even able to see the lit peaks of some of the mountains whose bases were in the shadows. I turned to the Sea of Tranquillity, and could see the individual peaks in the coarse mountain ranges surrounding it; just like the pictures in my astronomy books!

I showed my Mum and Stepdad, and they felt just the same way I did - amazed that such a breathtaking view was available of objects which no-one can see with their naked eye.

Then, I went to Jupiter after tea, and the moons were shining away - three in the left and one on the right (inverted in real life, of course). I tried a range of eyepieces, and settled on the 65X without the 2X Barlow for the best view. I could make out two distinct red cloud belts with this eyepiece, and the globe and pinpricks of light which were the moons also amazed my non-astronomy family. My Stepdad just can't wait until Saturn is going to be visible, and neither can I. That will be amazing, if the Moon and Jupiter are anything to go by.

I tried briefly on M31, and it was there as normal, but too close to the Moon for any extensive viewing. I turned to Betelgeuse to fine-tune my finderscope, and to marvel at the brilliant red giant. My smallest eyepiece was able to reveal the red glow of the star, and the 65X lens provided the best viewing once again.

I looked at the Moon again to allow my family to see it once the sky had darkened again - and this gave me a chance to test my polar alignment and motor - all worked fine, with a rough aim of the polar axis at Polaris creating a pretty smooth view. I just can't get those lunar landscapes out of my head - the shadows, and details of each crater, the coarse mountains surrounding the Maria, the shapes of the partially lit peaks protruding from the shadows...

Before the clouds crept in, I turned to M42, and used my other (I forget the magnification) smaller lens + the Barlow to get a great, sharp view of four of the small trapezium stars and the glowing nebulosity surrounding them. Using averted vision, I was able to see contrasting 'wisps' of dust making the nebula even more enchanting. I practiced motor tracking with this object, and watched it for ages, allowing my eyes to take in more of the light and get accustomed to seeing the contrasting areas of emission. I saw the main nebula's tendrils of contrasting gas, and the smaller blotch just to the left of it.

So, my first night with my first 'scope was the most memorable I have had to date, and it is just a great feeling to find and see these great sights with the rest of the family.

A great report George, and an inspiration to me to shrug off the Christmas "haze" of food and drink and get out observing again.:)

Saturn is visible at the moment , you just have to get up early enough.

I was waiting for my lift to work on Tuesday morning (22/12/09) and the sky was crystal clear with Saturn and Mars clearly visible to the naked eye, that was about 07:45 and it was still very dark here in Scotland, dont know how it is in Lincolnshire at this time, but its not really all that early to get up for a good look at Saturn.:hello2:

Great report! I also love to show stuff to my family and friends.

If you get up an hour before sunrise Saturn and mars are pretty high. Usually the transparency before sunrise is better then in the evening and allows great sights. If you never seen Saturn before, I can assure you it's worth having a few hours less of sleep, it will make your day.

Thanks for the replies!

I took the 'scope out again tonight, and between the clouds I saw Jupiter's multiple cloud belts, plus Io, Ganymede and Callisto (Thanks SteveP!). I saw more lunar panoramas, with the shadow receding and revealing another small sea, plus some nameable craters and their central peaks, plus all the other wonders high-magnification views have to offer.

I saw M31 for a while too, and spent a while with that before leaving because of cloud. The Moon is my new favourite object!

I will show my friend tomorrow if the clouds have abated.

So excited for you. Now put in that 65x eyepiece and have a good look at Polaris that you call eternally helpful. At the moment just underneath the bright Polaris you should see another much fainter star...yes that pole star is a double star and a much under rated one in my view. It is just amazing when you see it in a telescope the first time with good sharp optics like that 130PM you have....

Polaris is a big star..It has a radius of about 45 times that of the sun. Its 430 light years away. I think the companion is more like the Sun in size.

Loved your write up...let us know if you can see the Polaris partner star...

Mark

Thanks Stuart - I didn't know that Polaris was a double star! I am itching to take a look at that - it will be my first double star sighting too. I find it so useful because without it, polar aligning my EQ-2, or any equatorial mount, would be such a pain! It's great to be able to point the polar axis at that discernible point in the sky and get near-ideal tracking for about a minute's work (With a rough aim I can get motor tracking which only requires a slight declination adjustment every 10 minutes or so).

I'll look at Polaris tomorrow when my friend comes round, if the weather is clear.

Later!

Archived