Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Taller Tripods ?

Anyone know where I could get a taller tripod for my mounts (Az-3 and EQ5) ? - the stock aluminum tripods i) are too short for me when looking towards the zenith and ii) flex a lot, especially when fully extended. I guess I could make something in hardwood but my DIY skills are not great so I'd be prepared to buy if I can find someone who sells this sort of thing - can anyone point me in the right direction.

Thanks.

John,

North Somerset

John,

Sherwoods do a steel EQ5 tripod thats the same as the one that ships with the HEQ5. It makes a world of difference, they are about £55+p&p. I think they fit the EQ3/2 as well but I'm not sure....

Gaz

Thanks Gaz,

Do you happen to know how tall they are (fully extended) ? - I'd like something a good 30 cm taller that the stock alu ones if poss.

Cheers,

John,

North Somerset

Fully extended its about 10" shorter than than the extended ally tripod! :D

Teleskop Service do a tubular bar that adds a foot or so to the mount that rests inbetween the tripod and the mount (I have one for my EQ6). That might be worth a look, are you trying to mount a long refractor?

Hi Gaz,

Thanks for going to the trouble of measuring it !.

This is for my newly acquired 100ED - the standard aluminumn tripods supplied with the AZ-3 and the EQ5 (older model) are around 125cm in height to the top of the legs when fully extended (the legs are actually longer than that but they are obviously sloping when the tripod is in use). What I'm looking for is some legs which raise everything by 12 inches or so.

I'll e.mail Sherwords or one of the other skywatcher stockists next week and ask them I think. The extra stability provided by the steel legs would be welcome as well of course.

Despite this the 1st light on the 100ed was pretty improssive tonight - I managed to see the 13th mag star next to M57 which I have only seen in a 6 inch before now and M13 showed stars resolved right across at 113x - not bad for a quick look see !!.

Cheers,

John,

North Somerset

.... First light on the 100ed was pretty improssive tonight - I managed to see the 13th mag star next to M57 which I have only seen in a 6 inch before now and M13 showed stars resolved right across at 113x - not bad for a quick look see !!.

Its a wonderful scope; I have never heard a bad word said against it (some don't like the colour :roll: :D).

Hi folks,

Thanks for the helpful (as usual) responses - yep I think a 40cm half pillar is what I need sitting on a set of steel legs.

Now to find out who can do me both at a sensible price....

John,

North Somerset

Do Celestron sell their CG5 Advanced series tripod separate? Only it's identical to the EQ6 tripod. It would give the rigidness you need, even at full extend, plus also the height as it extends a lot further than the HEQ5 tripod.

Give Adam Hinds a call to see.

What a great scope the ED100 is....perfect in every way except colour.

Russ

Thanks for the suggestion re: the CG5 - I'll get in touch with David Hinds and find out more.

My 100ED is one of the blue ones - depends on your taste as to whether that's better than champagne but it looks quite smart with all black accessories. Had a quick look at Jupiter with it tonight before it disapeared below the treeline - 4 bands straight away and suggestions of structures between the 2 equatorial bands - and this with virtually no cool down time.

I'm looking forward to getting it on the EQ5 mount though - the AZ-3 is right at it's limit with the 100ED - passable for low-medium power grab and go but too shakey at 100x plus - no suprises there though.

Thanks for your advice folks,

John,

North Somerset

• 2 weeks later...

Archived