NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Terrestrial viewing with a reflector

Eyeball

I also am looking for something that will give me views of things in the correct orientation through my new reflector.

Everything through my new scope is upside down.

Thats always been normal for astro scopes. The logic being, as light is always at a premium for astronomy, why put more lenses in the system, with the consequential light loss, to turn the image the other way up ?

Trouble is, when they started using 90 degree diagonals in refractors and cassegrain scopes, the image became the right way up, but with left and right reversed just to confuse things !.

For terrestrial use though a little light loss does not matter I guess.

John

The easiest way to try your reflector out terrestrially is to rotate the tube so that the focuser is pointing vertically and then with your back to the object you wish to view look into the eyepiece, the view will be orientated correctly. An erecting eyepiece will obviously do this for you but most I have seen seem to have small fields and more magnification than you would like. As to the quality of view using reflecting optics, I have made several terrestrial binoscopes using mirrors and their perfect achromatism produces exquisite images.

And don't get caught looking through windows :D

You've sussed me out!

Seriously, I do a lot of hill walking (Pennine Way and the like) and wanted to take the Heritage 130P with me on my next foray to the Lake District. Rather than be restricted to viewing the night skies off the top of the lofty fells, I thought it would be magnificent to able to view the vistas of the fells while waiting for nightfall, using the same scope.

The easiest way to try your reflector out terrestrially is to rotate the tube so that the focuser is pointing vertically and then with your back to the object you wish to view look into the eyepiece, the view will be orientated correctly.

Why didn't i think of that.

Thanks.

Archived