Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hello :)

Dan73

at the moment ive only had binoculars to use but they dont let me see much:( i have recenly decided to invest in a telescope, i was thinking about a skywatcher explorer 150pl newtonian reflector. do you know if this is any good or can you give me some recommendations for a better one to begin with:)

Thanks,

Dan

Hi Dan and welcome. My first scope was a SW150 Newt - just sold it yesterday after 3yrs - and it's hard letting it go. Within my limited kowledge I would say it's a great starter scope for a total newbie as I was. It gave me my first jaw dropping views of saturn and jupiter, and clusters and nebulae are well within it's reach. It performs well with better quality eyepieces, and an RA motor is a useful upgrade.

Ultimately it all depends on your budget and what you want to acheive with it :)

Welcome from me too Dan. Scope choice is a massive topic that others with more experience will give you good advice on. I have a Skywatcher 200 and love it. It will depend what you have to spend, what you want to see (planets, moon, deep sky stuff etc), also where you want to go with it (just observe or imaging etc)

Scott:headbang:

:) Hi from me too - eyepieces will depend muchly on the scope. Theres a 150PL for sale on here at the moment by the way. As (very) general rule for deep sky something around the 13mm mark and something around 32mm mark seems popular.

I tend to use a 13mm and a 38mm the most when I get to use the scope (which isnt often with the weather we are having) :icon_eek:

The standard ep's that come with it are usually pretty basic Dan. I upgraded mine with a Baader-Hyperion clickstop zoom which gave superb views from 24mm down to 8mm - made the scope sing. But that ep was almost as expensive as the whole scope. You don't need to go daft like me - Williams Optics do good quality optics at very reasonable prices. Like Astro baby I also use 40mm for wide field and 15mm for closer up - quality ep's make such a difference.

Archived