Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

eyepiece question

nicnac

i am getting together the shopping list and was just a-wonderin about some EPs to pair up with a TAL 150P

the skywatcher LER EPs or TALs own equivelent

the SWA 1.25" EPs

both types will be for general viewing as i am not that interested in imaging @ the mo.

what do you think?

any recommendations?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry but the Skywatcher LERs are not very good. I don't know the TAL equivalent but I doubt they'd be much different.

Try Meade series 5000 Super Plossl, Baader Hyperion or (superb but with a smaller field of view) Baader Genuine Ortho.

I don't know the TAL equivalent but I doubt they'd be much different.

Actually, the TAL eyepieces are pretty good EP's. Certainly a step up from the Skywatcher models you get with their scopes.

IIRC, you get 25mm and 10mm plossls, a 2x Barlow and a crosshair reticle with the 150P.

Tony..

I have two Tal Plossls, 25mm and 7.5mm, and they are not bad. Brian's idea of a secondhand Ortho is good one though for higher power views. Perhaps a good quality medium power eyepiece to add to current collection. The 17mm Hyperion is very nice (but bit pricey).

Do you mean are they both good quality or should I get both? In actual fact, the answer to both questions is Yes!

The Tal Barlows are generally considered to be very good for their price, like the EPs. I have the 2x which is excellent. I also have a 3x 4000 series which is not quite as good. Whish I had the Tal 3x!

getting pleasantly surprised with Tal reviews.

i am going have to by the wife a flash dinner, she sort of chose it :icon_eek:

I used to own a TAL100 refractor. It was an excellent scope - definately a cut above the chinese equivilents both optically and mechanically - in that latter department it was quirky but solidly made quirkyness !.

John

I used to own a TAL100 refractor. It was an excellent scope - definately a cut above the chinese equivilents both optically and mechanically - in that latter department it was quirky but solidly made quirkyness !.

John

I've still got mine John, but not used much now but I must say the Uwan's are fantastic in the F10 refractor.

One word of caution with the Tal barlows. I have the 3x and it won't fit in the William Optics diagonal, or the Revelation 2" - 1.25" adapter or my Meade diagonal. The barrel is oversized by a fraction. Makes it a nice tight fit in some things and impossible fit in others. I ditched my 2x and 4x Tal's for this reason. But so far an alternative to the 3x hasn't presented itself. It's a bit annoying as it's a cracking barlow, as were the 2x and 4x.

I once owned an Antares 3x which was of comparable quality to the Tal. Optics made in Japan, nice coatings and nicely finished with no compatibility issues. That's what i've been hoping would come up.

what about the SWA 1.25" range?

also, have been looking for stockists of the TAL eps (just for a bit of brand continuity) what a head ache!, i found A dealer who has the SPs and an ultra wide model but its a 2" and the 150P is only a 1.25" hence the above question.

Regards,

Nick

Good luck trying to find any Tal plossl eyepieces. The importer hasn't shown them in their catalogue for a long time :-(

Something in the 7-8mm range would be a good fit for this scope(fl=750mm) and it's included eyepieces and barlow.

Depends on what you're willing to spend I guess.

Cheers,

Andy.

Hi Andy,

warehouse express.com sell a few TAL brand EPs for a few bob, probably will get some of those.

still wanting some wide angles for good measure tho, again, restricted to 1.25" thats why the SWAs from Skywatcher caught my attention, 70 degree apparent field according to Optical vision catalogue.

Would like some hands on feedback on them first tho.

Regards,

Nick

P.S dont mind spending £100/£150 on a single EP (if its good)

Had a look at warehouse express site.

Beware !! Quite a few items they are calling Tal eyepieces are actually skywatcher ones.

Tal has never made LER eyepieces. Only plossl's and a 2" 24mm UWA eyepiece are available from them.

If you already know this and I'm off track then I apologise.

Cheers,

Andy.

thanks Andy, i did get the feeling on those.....VERY similar.

well, i have been rooting away on the web (who needs sleep :) ) and came across the TeleVue Radians, these are sounding like fair generals and they are 1.25".

These should work fine in an F5 like the Tal 150P

I have read this thread with interest. Sorry if this has come up before but I am a newbie.

I used to have a Tal scope but have now got a Celestron NexStar 130SLT for my sins. I tried to use the Tal eyepieces in the Celestron but they don't seem to fit and I don't want to force them. This thread seems to say you can use Tal eyepieces in other scopes. Why won't my old eyepieces fit my new scope? Any hints on how to do it?

David B.

Sounds like you had an old Tal scope, before they changed their own eyepieces and focusers to the standard size.

Cheers,

Andy.

I have read this thread with interest. Sorry if this has come up before but I am a newbie.

I used to have a Tal scope but have now got a Celestron NexStar 130SLT for my sins. I tried to use the Tal eyepieces in the Celestron but they don't seem to fit and I don't want to force them. This thread seems to say you can use Tal eyepieces in other scopes. Why won't my old eyepieces fit my new scope? Any hints on how to do it?

David B.

Archived