Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

30 /11 / 09 Cold and WOW

Theninjagecko

For a scope that i fitted the mirror myself, and have not yet collimated, she performed outstandingly!

I started off just with Orion. HOLY **** the sky was 10 out of 10 for still and transparency here, only the moon ruined things. I cant remember seeing a sky so clear and still. I could clearly see full on green in the neb, and the trap, just amazing, gobsmacked! Must have spent 30 minutes just gawping at this with the 25mm.

I moved onto the double cluster by cass, Again looked outstanding best view I've had of this.

Right now took some finding but i got it, the owl cluster, or should i say Jonny 5! I laughed hard when i realized. Really good cluster to view.

I waited for Mars to go higher as it was going to get. Clearly see the ice cap, seemed to see one on the top and bottom, could see the distinct black/brown shapes too. 300x she was just awesome, although I could tell the scope needed collimation.

Had a go on Saturn but she was low, still, its been a while since i seen her, 5 moons clearly visible.

I viewed a few other clusters too tonight and i was pleased with my 5 hours of observing. A real shame the best night I can remember had a almost full moon white washing the sky :icon_eek:

Here's My monster, Braving the cold and survived, with out fogging, misting dewing or freezing!

dsc0116v.jpg

dsc0119te.jpg

dsc0118by.jpg

dsc0120ke.jpg

Finally in to dry off, i place the ota horizontal after this so the water didn't drip onto the mirror.

dsc0122k.jpg

WOw, it was that cold!! Love the dew sheild!!! Sound like you wrote the post soon after you got in, that is some going...

I didn't go out last night because of the moon's brightness, went for a walk instead. Then I had plans to get up at 4am to see the aforemetioned planets....oh well....:icon_eek:

Great dew shield, might have to steal that idea. I chickened out at 9pm after just two and a half hours. It was already getting frosty, but it looks like it got much worse later on. My scope was cold but it wasn't iced. You are making me wish I had turned it on some of the double clusters - I didn't imagine they would be worth trying in that moonlight.

they can be a b******r if they get too wet

If you have to replace it every other month, so what, what did it cost you? Varnishing or painting the outside will help prevent water penetration & will make it look smarter too.

It was freezing last night, I didn't bother as I was on the early shift in work but I had to scrape the ice of the car in the morning.

Nice report I really enjoyed reading it.

What eyepiece did you use for Mars, have yet to see it this year, am going to give my 4mm Uwan a try it gives me x457.

It was freezing last night, I didn't bother as I was on the early shift in work but I had to scrape the ice of the car in the morning.

Nice report I really enjoyed reading it.

What eyepiece did you use for Mars, have yet to see it this year, am going to give my 4mm Uwan a try it gives me x457.

10mm and 2x barlow, 300x I think. I think last nights conditions would have aloud it to go to its max of 600 but i only have a 40, 25, 10 and 2x barlow.. the sky here was so still and clear.

Archived