NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

80mm APO's..... so many to choose!

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's none of my business mate, but I think you're getting too caught up in the "grab'n'go" thing. By and large any scope and any mount is two trips, one for the scope and one for the mount (and maybe one for the weights :D). An Alt/az 80mm scope is no easier to setup than a 100mm EQ scope. It's still 3 or 3 trips.

Just my 2p :D

Revelation Apo and Moonfish are one in the same scope.

The Sentinel is a clone of the original WO ZS 80 Achro

The WO ZS ED II use the same glass as the Moonfish/Revelation Apo but definitely not the same scope

The Synta ED80 has better glass than all of them but comes packaged rather badly.

Ultimate choice would be the Sentinel with the William Optics Apograde kit. You'll have a lens to match Synta ED80 but the mechanics and looks of the William Optics Zenithstar. The Apograde kit also adds a Microfocuser to the Sentinel. But total cost will be £530 although you may get something back by selling the original Sentinel lens cell.

Logical choicewould be Ric's Moonfish or the Revelation Apo. At the moment both are £395, although Telescope House say the Revelation will rise to £429 once stocks arrive. Ric has stocks already.

The Synta is dirt cheap compared to the rest, easily undercutting them all and probably still has the best lens/optics to boot.

Good post Russ :D

5 seconds is the absolute extreme.. mostly 3 seconds on a small adjustment. I also noticed this more on high mag for Jupiter. The low mag deep sky was 1-3 seconds to be fair

My WO 80mm Megrez II SD takes under a second to settle down when it is on my HEQ5. When it was on a photo tripod it was all over the place.

It may take 2 trips to get it all out the house and into the car (I live in the city and drive to dark skies), but the two trips are worth it. "Grab and Go" is all very well, but if it leaves you frustrated with a vibrating scope, then why bother. I would rather carry a little more and have a great observing session. Just so you know - getting that + my LX90 + camera etc takes three trips - but means I can observe with the frac whilst the SCT cools down :D

While I am here - did I read someone say that the "Astronomics" Apo is the same as the WO ZS ED II - but just packaged slightly differently? Can anyone confirm?

Tom

While I am here - did I read someone say that the "Astronomics" Apo is the same as the WO ZS ED II - but just packaged slightly differently? Can anyone confirm?

There are lots of WO clones, like the Revelation 80, the moonfish, the AT80 etc etc. Some are the EDII some are the original achro though. Not sure which is which without lookinga the specs.

I'm suprised you get even 1 second jitter with the 80mm on the HEQ5, it should be rock solid. The vixen portamount is fairly solid and the SLT is not that bad for visual, but you couldn't do any photography with it.

Rob have you had a chance to use the Sentinel on the SLT much? What are your opinions of the mount and the setup in general?

Rob have you had a chance to use the Sentinel on the SLT much? What are your opinions of the mount and the setup in general?

I think its great. I have my power tank under the mount (so know battery issues). Last night was prime example, put the scope out @ 9pm for cool down. Started tracking and viewing Jupiter @ 9.45 till 10.30. Skyaligned - nailed 11 objects & packed up for 11.25. Perfect.

In some ways its a little evil because it took some of the fun away!!... however if you have 3 kids and lack time (sleep), its a ace.

Rob

You've pretty much sold me Rob hehe, thats exactly what im after. The lack of time is also a prime concern for me too. Especially with a nagging wife 8 months pregnant and a monster about to be unleashed on me hehe. I think i'll buy the SLT102 and then upgrade the tube to the WO ZS II 80 FD as and when i've sold the rest of my kit off. And when the winter finally comes back around i'll invest in a 10" revelation for those nice DSO's. Seems like a plan!

You shouldn't get any vibrations even if you drop kick a HEQ5 with only a 80mm f6 refractor on top of it. :D

You are right - when I said the vibration was under a second, that was because I wasn't really aware of any vibration - everything seemed solid.

Gordon - A friend of mine has a 10" Revelation Dob - a great 'scope. Not too heavy (he can carry it in two parts - easily), but giving really crisp, contrasty views - at least it beats the socks off my 8" SCT.

Tom

Gaz,

What is the weight of the OTA of your Revelation Dob?

I take it that trying to mount it on an HEQ5 would be dodgy?

Tom

I'm not sure Tom, I had the 10" Rev and an EQ6 (cracking set up!!!) but swapped it with James for a 10"SCT and a HEQ5. I was never in a position to try the 10" Rev with the HEQ5, but I'd guess it wouldn't be a big enough mount for the 10". An 8" f6 and a Heq5 would be a good match ut not a 10" IMHO.

The 66ED would turn out to be more than 300 quid, maybe around 320. Which is basically why we decided not to market it, as the price step to the 80ED is a lot less than the performance step. Meanwhile, I think we were right, as the 80ED is selling very well indeed. Just a bit worried stocks are going to be depleted before the next big batch arrives.

Ah well, a nice problem to have.

Ric Capucho

Moonfish Group

Archived