Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

EQ5 polar scope problem

iamjulian

I definitely have an EQ5 mount and I ordered the polar scope for the EQ5. But as you can see in the photo, the polar scope tube does not fit inside the mount. Does anyone else have an EQ5 and polar scope they can show me a photo of, or can anyone advise before I go back to FLO and ask whether they definitely sent the right polar scope? It says EQ5 on the polar scope box. Many thanks!

4142818433_c0e767d959_o.jpg

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had the same problem at first, with the same set up, you would think that the manufacturers would put a leaflet in with the polar scope or add a note in the EQ5 manual about it, good job we have the forum to fall back on.

John.

Thanks for making me feel less of a dimwit :icon_eek: It is obvious once you know and once you have done it. The little grub screws on the existing piece threw me - what else would they be for other than holding a polar scope in place. Yes, the forum comes good once again.

Hi Julian, what does the view through the new polar scope show? Does it have a pattern of the Plough in the reticule or is it just a large circle and small circle for Polaris ? I only ask as I want to replace mine.

#PS The three silver adjusting screws are for centring the polar scope in the mount..

I've recently been bought a 200mm Explorer on EQ5 mount. After reading this post I took the end cap off the scope to see where the polar scope goes and it appears to already have one. There is a lens you can look through and it's got the plough and polaris marked on it

Bish, nice. I don't think the standard EQ5 comes with the polar scope, was yours second hand? Or maybe you got a dealer who left one in by mistake? :icon_eek: If they do come as standard now, it's a big selling point that nobody seems to be mentioning. There definitely wasn't one already in mine - I'm not that slow :mad:

dark knight, from FLO of course :hello2: ordered friday morning arrived saturday morning. Make sure you tick the EQ5 option as it defaults to EQ2-3 and they are both the same price.

I was going to say "Maybe the white ones now come with the polar scope included, mine was the black one and there was no polar scope in it." but then I remembered that Julian's mount was white - Dooohh.

It seems odd that some mounts have the polar scope included,

is the price being increased to account for the addition of a polar

scope ?

Kathleen

Gosh! RV don't mention the polar scope on their website, but then again, FLO didn't mention the upgraded focuser on the SW 150P for months either - because they hadn't been told. Maybe the manufacturer has started building the polar scope in by default and because the cover is on, none of the retailers have twigged yet :icon_eek:

Could the difference be between the EQ5 and the HEQ5? My HEQ5 came with a polar scope, but do actual EQ5s?

I have a HEQ5 and a EQ5 and the mounts are completely

different as the HEQ5 can take more weight than an EQ5.

I'm not sure if you can remove the polar scope from a HEQ5.

Kathleen

Archived