SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

More scam emails!

GordonCopestake

For just a moment i thought i had sold my OTA hehe:

Hello,

I want to inform you that i saw your adverts and i am interested in your(Orion Optics (UK) SPX200 OTA 8" f/8--£300)advert and do get back to me with the full present condition and the picture if is available.

Best Regards.

Mrs Janet Woodcock.

I was tired and missed that it was a scam so wrote a response:

Hi Janet,

Thanks for your email. The SPX200 is still for sale and is in excellent condition. There is however one very small dent in the tube from the previous owner however this is minor and doesn’t affect the performance of the telescope at all. I’ve attached an image of the telescope, I hope you find it useful. The tube rings are not shown in the image, but are included in the sale.

Many thanks and kind regards

Gordon Copestake

Obviously the next reply was:

Hello,

Thanks for your quick response.I want to inform you that i have my company reputable collection agent that will take care of the collection for the(Orion Optics (UK) SPX200 OTA 8" f/8)from your location and also for the collection of 2 Arcade Machine for me in Renfrewshire.Hope to read from you soon.Thanks for your understanding in anticipation.

Best Regards.

Mrs Janet Woodcock.

Arcade Machines?!?! Wierd, then i clicked. Took me longer than usual:

Go away you scamming bar stewards! For just a moment there i actually thought you actually wanted to buy my stuff! Grrrrrrrrr

Amazingly i got a reply:

Hello,

Thanks for your mail response.I am from Canada.i'm okay with the condition and am okay with the price of Orion Optics (UK) SPX200 OTA 8" f/8.

As regard the collection arrangement,I have spoke to my company reputable collection agent concerning the collection arrangement of the Orion Optics (UK) SPX200 OTA 8" f/8 from your location and also to make collection of some other consignment for me in another location and i will compensate you with £50 to remove the advert as soon as you consider that the Orion Optics (UK) SPX200 OTA 8" f/8 has been sold to me from now and I will want you to remove the advert from the site so that i can be rest assure about this transaction.

As regard the payment i will instructed my business associate in united kingdom to issue you the cheque in the amount of £3,000 including the collection fund arrangement for the collection of the Orion Optics (UK) SPX200 OTA 8" f/8 and also to make collection of some other consignment for me in another location and when the cheque cleared in your bank,you will deduct the cost of the Orion Optics (UK) SPX200 OTA 8" f/8 and the compensation fees of £80 and the remaining balance will be send to my company reputable collection agent in cash via western union money transfer to make arrangement for immediate collection for the Orion Optics (UK) SPX200 OTA 8" f/8 and also to make collection of 2 Arcade Machine for me in another location in Renfrewshire.

If this is okay with you I want you to get back to me ASAP with your full name,address and landline phone number both mobile number,so that the payment can be issue out to you. Thanks for your understanding in anticipation.

Best regards.

Mrs Janet Woodcock.

NB:-I WAITING FOR THE CHEQUE TO CLEAR BEFORE THE COLLECTION COMMENCE.

I just filed it in the big round black filing cabinet.

sigh

OK, I wouldn't deal with this person either, just because the grammar is so bad that the person's first language is obviously not English, and is therefore not named Janet Woodcock. But can somebody walk me through just how they hope to gain from buying your scope?

Money WH, just money. They pretend to send you £3,000 and you refund the balance to them. Thus you give your bank details and some cash. They have no interest in the scope.

Ah! You can't jsut thank him and keep the £3,000?

Gordon is quite right - it's your bank details that they are really after.

The usual give away is bad grammer, unlikely names and that they cut and paste your item description in their e.mails - they know absolutely nothing about the item you are selling.

I wonder though how many people get fully caught out this way - must be quite a few otherwise they would give up trying.

John,

North Somerset

Mrs Woodcock is a gentle and sweet old grandmother who bakes muffins and cookies every Sunday, after church or course!!

She must be a heck of an astronomer though, cos she wants my frac as well!!

I'm sure there is a similar scam ging on on E.bay at the moment - a whole rash of quality scopes have appeared from the same seller in Sweden - all (or most) priced at £399 "buy it now" including a Tele Vue 4 inch refractor. Again all they are after are your bank details I'm sure. Someone has put in a bid for one as well.

There are some charming people about in this world arn't there !.

John,

North Somerset.

Archived