Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Pleiades - Emerging from my light pollution.

Dave

I finally got an image of the Pleiades I'm pleased with from my light polluted skies.

8" Newtonian with Nikon D300 and lots of processing to remove the orange background.

20 x 2 minute exposures at prime focus. ISO 1000.

No Noel's spikes used here, only spider reflections...

post-14922-133877410775_thumb.jpg

Oh, I did use a Neodymiunum 2" light pollution filter for this one, not ideal, I know.

I would prefer a better one... BUT I've already spent enough money on my hobby lately - 'til after Christmas!!!

Oh, I did use a Neodymiunum 2" light pollution filter for this one, not ideal, I know.

I would prefer a better one... BUT I've already spent enough money on my hobby lately - 'til after Christmas!!!

I kow what you mean this imaging part of the hobby is a deep pockets section to be sure.

LP is quite servere where I am also. I was able to take subs down to around 3 minutes without any filters, they were washed out completely after that.

I bought a CLS filter (not the clip version) and sub length increased to 10 minutes on a good night it made a big difference and carried me along a lot further results wise

Dave

I can just about get a 1 minute exposure until the dreaded orange glow creeps in without the filter. Perhaps the CLS is the way to go.

What do all you guys think about filters for DSLR imaging?

Lovely image, the natural diffraction spikes look great surrounded by nebulosity.

I use a Hutech light pollution filter and have to say it does an excellent job without affecting star colours. The CLS does a good job too, but I've heard that the Orion ultrablock and Skywatcher light pollution filters do a very good job for a lot less £££.

Archived