Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Ebay scope heads up 2!

Rob

Well.... I couldn't resist a bid....if I outbid any members of this forum, sorry about that.

Unfortunately this means that the ED80 has to go...

Now to explain to my better half ..... I know, I'll say that the ED80 grew 300mm longer in the night !!!!.

Thanks for the "heads up" Rob !!.

John,

North Somerset.

I have the ED100 and it's an excellent scope, the colour isn't QUITE as good as the ED80 but it's pretty damn good even so. The extra aperture makes a nice difference and the focal length is fine especially for planetary/lunar. You loose some of the widefield stuff but you can use a focal reducer and still get great results. I'm selling my goldtube ED100 and going down to a 80mm APO i think, just for portability.

Thanks for the feedback Gordon.

Having now brought your old Tasco ST80 from Russ, I'm quite well set up for grab & go wide field views - I tried the scope late (very late) last night and the views were really lovely with my 24mm Tele Vue Wide Angle. Also managed to spot Polaris's 9th mag companion and the ring nebula despite a fullish moon rising.

Unfortunately for financial reasons I can't keep both the ED80 and the ED100 so the 80 is going to have to go. BTW what type of focal reducer do you use with your ED100 ?.

My next "quandary" is - do I hang on to my Nexstar 5 SCT ? - I suspect that the ED100 is going to equal it in most respects but it does have GOTO and that little bit of extra apeture. I suppose I could sell it and go for a good 8-10 inch dob for deep sky. That would give me a good range of scopes that would compliment each other - 8-10 inch dob / 4 inch apo / 80mm ST grab and go.

Choices, choices !!.

John,

North Somerset

Glad the old ST80 is doing well and is being used! Would be a shame for it to sit in someones draw unused. I had many a great night with that scope hehe.

Had i spotted your ED80 up for sale sooner i would have considered a swap for my ED100 hehe, oh well.

I dont use a focal reducer at the moment as the past few months i've been doing mostly planetary/lunar observations, but i know the celestron .6 ones work fine, and the .3 ones also work but have some distortions.

As for your 5" sct, let me tell you I swapped a C8 for the ED100 and couldnt have been more pleased with the increase in viewing quality! Personally, unless you have some reason, i would sell the 5" ASAP. With the money you can buy a GOTO mount perhaps (I know a CG5-GT for sale :D hehe)

I think at the moment im aiming for a 80mm grab and go or maybe a short tube 100mm and then a 10" dob for the winter DSO's

Fun fun fun!

Archived