NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Consequences of metroid hittting earth ?

Condor Gold

I really believe this is a real possibilty of happening during my lifetime (the next 50 or so years)

I'm not talking about a little tiny metroid here that makes a dent in a field.

I'm talking about a big large metroid capable of wiping out New York City. What would be the consequences of a large metroid hitting New York City or pulunging into the Altantic Ocean.

Apart from the obvious damage of its location of impact - what would be the rippling effects on the rest of the earth and society ?

And also did a metroid wipe out the dinsaours like I have been told ?

Noooooo - the Mayans just never calculated beyond 2012. If they were so far sighted then how come they didn't see the Spanish coming ? Hardly qualifies them as accurate fortune tellers does it.

Besides we have had so many of these scare stories - I'm still waiting to die of Aids, Skin Cancer because of the Ozone layer failing, freezing by a new ice age, dying of thirst from Global Warming, Being part of the upper atmopshpere or freezing (again) courtesy of a Nuclear War/Winter. ANyway according to the scare stories we are all 12 years overdue as the world was supposed to end in 2000.

Here -take a look and find more stuff to worry about WELCOME TO EXIT MUNDI: A COLLECTION OF END-OF-WORLD SCENARIOS

2012 will sell a lot of books and films but we'll all still be here in 2013.

What I find amusing is the amount of people who a) want the world to end and :) believe it will but carry on working in an office or driving a bus. I think that pretty much makes me laugh at their 'conviction' about EoW scenarios.

"Yes luv - the worlds going to end - in 2013, 15th of May - about tea time" okies if your so sure about that why dont you kite your credit card and go make some whooopppeee instead of going to work.

If I REALLY thought it was going to end I'd do lots of things - going into work wouldn't be one of them :rolleyes:

slightly off topic but if you check the "astronomy in sci fi" episode of astronomy cast they point out that the huge exposion that occures when the dinosaurs are wiped out at the start of "that" dissaster movie won't happen. once the size of the explosion is large enough to reach the outer atmosphere any subsequent increase in size just results in the exposion spreading in the direction of least resistence i.e. into space with very little increase in the blast area on earth.

it still ruins your day but at least you get to survive long enough to freeze / choke / starve to death.

Noooooo - the Mayans just never calculated beyond 2012. If they were so far sighted then how come they didn't see the Spanish coming ? Hardly qualifies them as accurate fortune tellers does it.

Was only jesting when I submitted it HOWEVER I am looking forward to the film.

The best information we have are from historical and geological records. The last major impact was the Tunguska event in 1908 (Google it). Historically, impacts of this size happen somewhere on Earth roughly once every 100 years. Do the math :rolleyes:

Matt

The dinosaurs were wiped out by an asteroid hitting the earth, this can be seen by the crater left (known as the gulf of mexico). Mineral deposits in the rocks that have been tested from the seabed have carbon dated to the time that they went into extinction. The NEO (near earth orbit) event suggested by the Myans has some credulity. Apparently there is a satelite due to be launched in the next 6 months to orbit and scan an asteroid that is currently some 250,000,000km away & on a collision course with earth. The aim is to scan & map it with a view to launching some type of bomb at it within the following 2 years to knock it of course by 1km thus avoiding us (we hope).

The effects of an asteroid hitting New York, Personally I would say there will be a lot of apple juice,lol.

Saturn1 - Where can I read more about this known asteroid on a collision course? I heard about one in 2029 that is due a close pass and that it may have its course altered enough to hit us on its pass a handful of years later, but I didn't think they knew of any that were definitely on course for us.

When you think about how much of even recent earth history does not contain more than a handful of understood written words, it is quite possible that a number of such events have happened over the years without eye witness accounts being passed through to today. How many folk tales disregarded as over active imaginations actually have their roots in true impact events?

Do you think "they" would let it be known if there was an upcoming "bullseye"? It's not like there is anything that can be done to avert such an event, short of attempting to divert it, but most likely fragmenting the rock (see armageddon, that laughable comedy routine about a bunch of roughnecks come astoknuts).

Julian,

Not sure where you can get more info, sorry.

this was all part of a programme on National Geographic 2 or 3 nights ago.

It was quite an interesting programme based around NEO's amongst other topics.

The programme was called building for our future I think, & this was one of 4/5 items in the programme.

The item in question is some 3km across so is easily divertable, providing they can actually hit it, hense the soon to launch mission to map it out etc.

Not sure if we'll see Bruno & the boys riding yippe kyay style through our close proximity, but it does make you think.

Archived