Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Another Essex newb saying Hi!

leeq

Hello Everyone,

I just thought I'd say Hi after registering.

I'm a 41 year old chap who has just repatriated from the US after a decade there, on account of needing real beer & bacon, amazing the things we miss :rolleyes:

I used to have plenty of fun with an old 6" Newtonian when I was younger (much younger), and after dabbling a little in a poor light polluted area of Oklahoma City a couple of years ago when I tried to reinvigorate my love of the sky--and failed miserably given the bad light where we lived, I have decided to make more of a concerted effort now that I have a nice and dark 1/4 acre garden with a great view of the sky on the north edge of the village we live in.

After lurking here for a few days reading reviews of equipment, I ordered a Sky-Watcher FlexTube 300p auto (with a free PSU & colour video cam), a Sky Scout & platform (to help interest the wife and 6yo son), and a 2" 30mm 80deg Ascension to augment the supplied eyepieces. Everything should arrive tomorrow, and I'm very keen to begin gazing again. Our place has a summer house and deck at the bottom of the garden with power available, so hopefully I should have a great deal of fun with this kit!

I want to sincerely thank all the knowledgeable people that post here. You have all made things much easier for me to dissect my desire and render down my choices. I certainly look forward to meeting some of you in the future at any Sky parties that run in this and the surrounding area.

Lastly a few quick questions:

1. I've been thinking of ordering a O111 filter, and would like to ask whether given the kit i've ordered, what would your suggestions be?

2. What other equipment would you recommend to augment what I've purchased already, to help me begin (again) my hopping across the sky?

3. Is there a club in the Colchester area that folks would recommend?

Once, again many thanks to everyone here.

Cheers!

Lee.

Thanks Bob!

I forgot to add also that I still work for my US based data security company. I'm a computer forensics examiner / security bod, that works a nice noon till 8pm shift everyday from my home office. So I am definitely looking forward to some 4-5am bedtimes soon. That ability to do late nighters definitely weighed in on my decision to buy a bigger scope.

-Lee.

Is that the same thing as an 'ethical hacker' then? :rolleyes:

Dana

Dana,

I've certainly performed ethical hacking over the years, but right now I tend to spend much of my time responding to breaches where credit / debit card data has been stolen, and performing forensic analysis on images of hard disks from the computers they were stolen from, trying to establish how they got in, how they executed the theft, and 'hopefully' how badly they cleaned up after themselves making my job easier.

Occasionally find very (very, very, very, bad) pictures on computers when doing this kind of work. But luckily enough for me, I am not law enforcement so I get to preserve chain of custody, and hand those drives straight to the appropriate agency in country. FBI of course on the other side of the pond, and police associated with CEOP on this side. Enough said on that though, always makes me ill with some of the stuff found. Happily for me that's been a rarity.

On to more fun jibes though :) My wife is an Oki born and bred. This is her first time living abroad and she is absolutely loving the UK. Once she discovered Bisto, she found there wasn't a vegetable she couldn't load up onto roast dinner's plate... Although she too complains about our bacon really being ham, but since discovering Tesco's finest streaky bacon she is content.

It's a bit early I know, but Happy turkey day next week. We of course will be celebrating the practice feast before Christmas :eek:

Cheers!

Hi Lee,

A warm welcome to SGL, you really have ordered some very nice equipment for starters, you can look forward to some outstanding views with your 300p auto, your garden and summer house with power on hand will become a boon for the future, 0111 and UHC visual filters help to resolve diffuse and emission nebula which are well within the range of your scope, a pair of bins may be a helpful addition a red torch and a pocket star atlas also, enjoy the forum.

John.

Just thought I would add that the 300P arrived from Opticstar this morning; as did the Baader Hyperion 8-24mm clic-kstop tele, and Skywatcher O-III narrowband 2" from FLO.

I work from a home office, and have a report to write this morning...well I did have a report to write this morning, but there is NO WAY I'd be able to concentrate with those 2 big unpacked boxes next to me, so I think the report shall have to wait for a couple of hours :rolleyes:

Sheesh I feel like my 6yo on Christmas morning!

Archived