SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Some widefield shots

Yesterday the sky looked sort of ok-ish and our family decided to go and have a little star hunting session up Dunnet Head, the most northerly point on british mainland.

Once we arrived some light Hare has come in and some clouds too... As predicted, my kids got bored quickly and I had to hurry up to get some shots before they were to start a mutiny :rolleyes:

Here are a few that I manged to grab in the 20 minutes or so up there (standing in the blazing cold wind)

1asm.jpg

2asm.jpg

Looking West over Thurso

6asm.jpg

Looking East

7asm.jpg

Looking Up

5asm.jpg

Backyard view

I am just trying to get a feel for my cam and lenses at night and I am trying out different combination of lenses/exposures and ISO speeds.

Also any processing tips would be very welcome as this (as in astro) is now to me.

All pics were done with a Canon 5DmkII and the 24-105L. ISO`s varied from 1250 to 2000. All images are stacked of 2 subs and show about 50 seconds or so...

Amazing work, MaCross, your framing is spot on and the sheer detail and depth of the images is staggering. You've done a smashing job. Brilliantly executed :rolleyes:

I agree with Brendan, the first 3 are particularly impressive with the horizon and starfield. I love the way you have captured stars 'behind' the incoming golden clouds too, really feels like 'infinity' :)

These images have really cheered up a very gusty and wet day in S.Wales, thank you :eek: and keep them coming!

Archived