Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Tycho Sunset

brianb

Tuesday morning (Nov 10th) the rain bearing front cleared in the early hours, as forecast (!!!), leaving a transparent sky laced with intermittent cloud but with reasonably steady seeing. After it got too light to continue variable star work I turned my attention to the Moon.

The sun was just setting on Tycho, the Straight Wall, Eratosthenes and the Appenine mountain chain and Plato. Not having time to conduct a full mosaic image I decided to concentrate on these highlights.

Tycho & Clavius:

Moon-091110-0810-Tycho.jpg

2009 Nov 10, 0810 UT.

The Straight Wall:

Moon-091110-0809-Straight%20Wall-X1.jpg

2009 Nov 10, 0809 UT.

Eratosthenes and the Appenine Mountains:

Moon-091110-0758-Eratosthenes-X1.jpg

2009 Nov 10, 0758 UT.

Plato:

Moon-091110-0757-Plato-X1.jpg

2009 Nov 10, 0757 UT.

All images, CPC1100 prime focus, Astronomik Planet Pro 742 infra-red pass filter, Imaging Source DMK41 camera.

Lunar details: Colongitude 186.3 libration in latitude +04 deg 20 min libration in longitude +02 deg 28 min

Light Pollution: Please note that the Sun was actually above the horizon when these images were made!

I keep meaning to 'embrace' the moon myself rather than treating it like an enemy...

Treat it as an enemy ... shoot it! :rolleyes:

Actually there are plenty of opportunities for lunar observation in strong twilight, when deep sky observation/imaging is a non starter, and when the moon is well placed at this time it's at an interesting phase ... not the horrible bland but viciously bright beacon it becomes when nearly full.

Archived