Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

M42..You Beauty!

Lowstar

As i nipped outside for a ciggy last night i noticed the clouds had cleared and Orion`s belt was clearly visible. Now, it was around ten past eleven and as i`m up at twenty past six the alarm clock already had a head start on me :icon_eek: Anyway, got the garage doors open, de capped the SkyQuest:D and started to search for M42. It too a few seconds to be fair and suddenly hello!! Result!! There was no mistaking it with the cloud that was in the sky. Beautiful.. and even better, shades of colour too. Not vivid but for sure a greenish hue with a red ish edge to the "smudge". Need i say i wasn`t into bed till a quarter past twelve.

My biggest fear on starting out in this hobby, buying the scope and the other various odds and ends, was that i`d be underwhelmed by the views i`d actually see. So far it`s been great and with darker skies maybe on the way it can only get better.

ATB

will

Orion is just strting to appear over the houses at about 11pm here. I almost got a look at it last night, but the only bit of cloud in the sky was covering Orions belt and the moon was shining down with a vengeance!

I took the dogs for a walk instead.

Hoping for better things in the weeks ahead.

Allan

I usually hate winter, but I'm actually looking forward to it this year for the first time ever.

Why?

Because I've recently taken up this fantastic hobby and I'm aware that the longer winter goes on the higher Orion will rise, earlier and earlier. The views will get better and the viewing position more comfortable. So what if I'm cold! I don't care any more....:icon_eek:

I usually hate winter, but I'm actually looking forward to it this year for the first time ever.

Why?

Because I've recently taken up this fantastic hobby and I'm aware that the longer winter goes on the higher Orion will rise, earlier and earlier. The views will get better and the viewing position more comfortable. So what if I'm cold! I don't care any more....:)

Just about sums it up for me...:icon_eek:

It is a fantastic sight isn't it Will, and to think just how much more there is to see too. This hobby is about the long haul, endless cloudy skies etc, but boy it is worth it when we get those clear crisp winter evenings and the jewels of the night sky are revealed, it's a real adventure...

Well I have missed basically missed a whole observing year with a scope mothballed while I modded it and with house moves and renovations going on. I am thrilled that the scope will be ready for the Winter skies though. Even though the last time I looked through the scope was at last years Winter skies and I missed the Spring and Summer skies this year I don't mind. They'll still be there for 2010 :icon_eek:

There is just so much to see in the Winter skies. Remember, its the wind and rain combined with the cold that makes Winter miserable. But those are not the nights we'd be out observing during the Winter in anyway. Nice calm cold crisp nights are actually quite pleasant assuming one wraps up well and brings out a flask of hot Tea/Coffee/favourite Tincture.

I love donning the Ski gear and heading out with the scope on those nights. No bugs or moths of midges to annoy you either. And theres nothing like climbing into a lovely toasty bed after a satisfying Winter nights session.

I was out looking at M42 last night too. Quite breathtaking through my 10mm EP with 2x Barlow. Once the Moon came up over the rooftop after midnight I had a stunning view and spent a good half hour switching between EP's.

Only downside was finding that the neighbours dog had got into our garden...you can guess the rest :icon_eek:

when we get those clear crisp winter evenings and the jewels of the night sky are revealed, it's a real adventure...

What a terrific image you paint with these words Carl - takes me back to my very first Tasco 'scope when I had no idea what was what - but loved very second of it.

Archived