Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Dumela!

jah79

Hi all!

I am a South African expat living in Tunbridge Wells.

I have just finished ordering the last of my starter gear and cannot wait for it all to (hopefully!) be delivered tomorrow!

I went for the Skywatcher Explorer 150PL (EQ3-2), Celestron Skymaster 15x70 bins, Meade lunar filter and Collicap. Will be getting Turn Left at Orion and a pocket star atlas soon.

Is there a website/discussion forum where you can find out about dark sites in your local area? I am sure some local farmers wouldn't mind me doing some viewing from an empty field if I give them some peeks thru my scope ;)

Look forward to sharing astronomy knowledge with you all!

Johann

Hi Johann, welcome to the SGL Forum.

I hope you enjoy your new gear, and perhaps you will let us know how you get on with it.

Should you need any assistance, there are about 5000 people on here who will help.;)

Ron.

Hi Johann,

A warm welcome to SGL, try the National Farmers Union Sec in your area, he may have some idea who could help you, the only trouble is, farmers worry about gates being left open. What about contacting your nearest local Astronomical Soc, enjoy the forum and your new equipment when it arrives.

John.

Welcome to SGL Johann,

I can see you've done your research - great starter setup!! ;)

Will be getting Turn Left at Orion and a pocket star atlas soon.

If you haven't picked which pocket star atlas to go for I'd recommend Sky And Telescope's Pocket Sky Atlas. I got mine here - Sky & Telescope's Pocket Sky Atlas (Paperback) By (author) Roger W. Sinnott ISBN 13: 9781931559317 at The Book Depository it was highly recommend to me by other SGL members and didn't disappoint. :(

Cheers

Hi Johann,

Welcome to SGL, what part of RSA are youi from ??

I lived in Capetown for 3 years with my family and we loved it.

John

Born in Cape Town, raised in Cape Town, Ottawa, Brussels & Pretoria, Uni in Stellenbosch then 2 years in Taiwan and now here for around 5 years.

Cape Town is the Best Town!! ;)

If you haven't picked which pocket star atlas to go for I'd recommend Sky And Telescope's Pocket Sky Atlas. I got mine here - Sky & Telescope's Pocket Sky Atlas (Paperback) By (author) Roger W. Sinnott ISBN 13: 9781931559317 at The Book Depository it was highly recommend to me by other SGL members and didn't disappoint. ;)

Cheers

Thanks for the recommendation! Does it also contain southern hemipshere charts? If so I will be ordering a copy today...

Thanks for the recommendation! Does it also contain southern hemipshere charts? If so I will be ordering a copy today...

Yes! Also more than 30,000 stars and 1,500 Deep Sky Objects colour coded by type. It should keep you busy for a while!! ;):(

Yes! Also more than 30,000 stars and 1,500 Deep Sky Objects colour coded by type. It should keep you busy for a while!! ;):p

Thanks, copy ordered!

Damn all you with your 200P + EQ5 setups (in a very polite way)!! :( That was my ULTIMATE kit but unfortunately money doesn't grow on trees anymore. Will be looking at upgrading to an EQ5 with motors sometime next year to get more stability for imaging. How is the 2nd hand market for EQ3-2 mounts?

Think you should do ok selling there's always someone starting out or looking to upgrade their kit. You can use the 'for sale' section on here as a starting point, that's where I got half my kit. Also there's U.K. Astronomy Buy & Sell or 'Flea-bay' as a last resort. :(

There's lots of great imagers on here so if that's what your looking to do you'll get plenty of advice. Oh and you'll be wishing money DID grow on trees!! ;)

Archived