Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hello all

Dicky de Builder

Only just found this forum when searching for info on scopes. Very impressed with the level of help and info here. I live in quite part of Devon and get great views of the night sky and think it’s long overdue that I delve deeper into it... (and will certainly need some help!)

So hello.

Hi albedo0.39 and others

I’ve certainly had a lot of thoughts on scopes now thanks to this forum and it’s superb info. Like in old_eyes thread it has become a bit overwhelming . I was originally seduced by a SW Mak 127 on a Go-to but after research here am now favouring a Newtonian. I recon I have a go enough basic knowledge of the night sky to cope with a manual mount as it is a hobby I have dipped in and out of for many years but with just eyes and binos. Motorised mounts and astrophotography would be something to come later and have come to the conclusion that I would probably need a separate set up to do it justice ( i may be wrong though ;)). The only scope I can find to do everything I want is Hubble and I can’t afford that :(.

So the top runners at the moment are the Celestron Omni XLT 150 CG-4 or the Skywatcher Explorer 200P EQ5, the later is my favourite (its bigger:D). It seems more sense to me now to save on a goto and use the cash on some more useful extras bits like filters etc. and get started. As someone said in one of the threads here, "astronomy is a hobby not a race", wise words indeed.

Cheers

Dicky

PS still open to suggestions!

Archived