NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

stuck on scopes

after a new scope and it will be my first. i have narrowed the choice to 3 but now im stuck on deciding.

Skywatcher Evostar 120 (EQ3-2)

Skywatcher Startravel 120(AZ3)

Skywatcher Skymax 127 Supatrak

Considering that the one chosen will be used for a bit of everything, which one is the best buy in your opinion and can you elaborate?

hi

i would have gone for the Skywatcher Evostar 120 (EQ3-2), it will give you good wiews on solarsystem objects, and performe ok on DSO`s.

i have a 6" f/8 myself, and feel these scopes are a good compromise for the widest range of objects.

alfi

Any reason why you want either a refractor or Mak?

TBH, if I were starting now, I'd be looking at a dob - something like the Skywatcher Skyliner 200P Dobsonian (Dobsonians - Skywatcher Skyliner 200P Dobsonian) would give you both lots of light gathering (about 250% more than the 120mm ones) for DSOs, a reasonable F/6 focal ratio for planetary and really easy to setup and use. I'd also think the 200 would be light enough for anyone to carry around.

Essential extras for a dob - telrad finder and a starmap :D

i will nip on to FLO and check out the specs :D

Nice, specs look good but to my untrained eye it looked a [removed word] to shift, maybe im just stuck in the mindset refractors would be easier, think im used to using tripods

so dobs are better all rounders ?

what is the dimensions of that set-up, do you know? reason i ask is that space, for me, is at a premium that is why i am looking at the startravel 120 and the skymax 127. The Evo 120 was put in as "the big en"

I had a similiar dilemma when I got my scope. I had to choose between an evostar 120 and an explorer 200p reflector. Opinions suggested that the reflector was the best all-rounder so that's what I got. Mine came with an EQ5 mount, if I could buy it again I would probably get a dob.

John

so dobs are better all rounders ?

what is the dimensions of that set-up, do you know? reason i ask is that space, for me, is at a premium that is why i am looking at the startravel 120 and the skymax 127. The Evo 120 was put in as "the big en"

An 8" F/6 dob is a great allrounder for visual work :D

In terms of space, if you keep it with the tube pointing up, it's "footprint" is only about 24" x 24".

John

Newt is short for Newtonian which is a description of how the optics are arranged, i.e a set of mirrors to bring the light to a focus as opposed to the glass lenses of a refractor. This purely describes the how optical make-up of the system i.e the tube (or OTA optical tube assembly as it is known).

You need to put a newtonian tube on a mount of some description to allow it to be used. Commonly these come in two basic forms. Firstly what is known as alt/az of which a dobsonian is a simple form, and secondly an equatorial mount of which the EQ3 is an example of.

So to answer your question the dob as you describe is a newtonian tube assembly mounted on a simple dobsonian style mount, the tube sits in a cradle so it pivots up and down, the pivot sits on a base so it rotates, very simple to use.

Hope this helps.

Steve..

understood and thanks kindly. ;)

im thinking Skyliner 250px dob from FLO, whats the thoughts on that ?

used mostly for visual to begin with.

is it good for a bit of everything ? (planets and DSOs)

suggestions for accessories ?

i know, im not asking much of you folks am i !!

200p looks easier to shift than the dob, sweating just looking at that base.

i have access to the roof of a fairly tall building which means stairs, many,many stairs.

I think newt and tripod would be better

WOW! i think ive just chosen!

cheers guys ;)

Archived