Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hello from Barnsley

ashworthacca

Hi to everyone on the forum.

I'm an absolute beginner in Astronomy and after many visits to my nearest shop bought a Celestron Nexstar 5 SE. I have had the chance to give it a quick try a few nights ago basically to get to grips with the goto etc.

One question if I may....The scope comes with a bubble level that you use before you put the OTA on the mount. I will be keeping the scope fully setup on the mount all the time (initially using it in the back garden). What's the easiest way to level it fully assembled using the bubble level?? If this is not possible what would you guys recommend?

Back to topic, I actually got into star gazing last tear on holiday in Greece. Me and the wife went for a stroll on the beach at midnight and it was pitch black.......the number of stars you could see was unbelievable and a sight to behold. From that day I said that I needed to get a Telescope.

I'm a Chartered Certified Accountant and am a partner in a local practice. I'm a keen golfer with a 8 handicap and I'm also into photography.

I'm looking forward to enjoying and contributing to the forums as much as I can.

Regards

Martin

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi welcome to the forum.

Perhaps you could put a couple slabs leveled in your garden which you can sit it on everytime if your tripod is locked it shouldnt be too far off each time. (it might not work im pretty new to all this myself - sorry if it doesnt!)

p.s how did you get down to 8 im more like 38! lol

Paul

First of all a warm welcome from a fellow novice.

My apologies if I am being blindingly stupid here, but I thought you levelled the mount by adjusting the legs of your tripod?

Don't take my word for it, because I am only a couple of weeks into owning a scope myself. That’s just what I assumed, as it appears the most obvious thing to do? :D

Thanks for the welcome Andy:)

I don't think I've made myself clear:D I can adjust the legs on the mount as much as I like but how do I know it's level unless I use some sort of bubble level........I have one that came with the scope but with the OTA attached to the mount where do I put the bubble level??

The only place I can see to put it is the accessory tray but how do I know that's level:confused:

I may be making this slightly more complicated than it should be.

Martin

Hello and welcome to the site. I think that I can solve your problem, although I am not familiar with your telescope. Assuming it is mounted altazimuth, then the best course of action is to set the telescope to zero altitude, place a spirit level lengthwise on the top of the tube and slowly rotate the telescope in azimuth. Any deviation from horizontal should be easily apparent. Once you have the telescope exactly horizontal, by adjusting the legs, mark the tripod legs and the ground for easier set up in future. I used this method on a 10" LX200 and found it to be quick and accurate. I hope you'll find this helpful.

Thanks guys, I'm feeling part of the community all ready.

Talitha, yes thats the scope and mount.......it's funny you saying the silver logo as a location for the bubble level, I've just moved it there.

Thomas, that's a great tip....I'll give it a try, many thanks.

Thanks again to all of you for the warm welcome.

Martin

Hi Martin,

A warm welcome to SGL, Thomase`s tip is a good one to follow, invest in a small builders bubble level, the type they hang on a bricklayers string, they are mostly alloy and light, stick a bit of thin baize to the base to stop it marking the OTA then hold it on with a couple of rubber bands, this should solve your problem, enjoy the forum.

John.

Hi Martin, welcome to SGL. A slightly different setup, but here's what I did with my NexStar SLT. The inbuilt bubble level was useless, as determined by removing the head, levelling the tripod top with a proper full size spirit level, and comparing. Having done that, I levelled the accessory tray/leg spreader with the top levelled. Then refitted the head. Now all I do is place a short spirit level across the bubble level in line with each leg, adjust and recheck. It works very well for me. I hope that's of some help.

Archived