Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

ET cluster from late August

Talitha

With summertime activities dying down, there's finally time to get my sketches scanned and on the computer... they've been stacking up since March. :D

Here's ET (NGC 457). I get a kick out of detecting lots and lots of faint stars so i used the 8" SCT, but ET can be seen with less aperture, so give it a try with whatever you've got... it's lots of fun.

Satisfaction guaranteed, or double your money back. :) :)

post-13732-133877404312_thumb.jpg

Here you go.. with those long arms, he almost looks like a little monkey. :)

Isn't it odd how we see different things? The first image i ever saw of this cluster had ET's arms drawn in... maybe that's why i've never seen an Owl. ;) It definitely looks a lot better with a wider fov, though.

post-13732-133877404854_thumb.jpg

Thanks, Steve and Mark. ;)

Maybe i'd need to back down in power to see the Owl? The eyepiece used for that sketch (32mm) gave me the lowest available power for the f/10 SCT. I suppose the 6.3 focal reducer would have helped, but for some reason it gives me eyestrain headaches (and if i pan too quickly it makes me nauseous, lol).

But... i recently purchased an f/5 120 achro and will try another sketch when the cloudgods let me. TBH though, i've never seen the Owl in the formation.. anyone care to draw him in so i know what to look for? Thx! :)

Archived