NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Gutted i bought bushnell binos !!

Bought a pair of 12x50 bushnell powerview binoculars and must say am not very happy with them unless im using them wrong.

I seem to find that when im looking through them if my face touches the eyepiece slightly it moves them out of focus and basically as they go out of focus im thinking i can see feint fuzzies everywhere lol !

Is it the way im using them - i suppose the answer is not to let my face touch the eyepiece - thought i would post this in case anyone else has same problem. Im not sure if it because of the focuser not being a turn one but a push one if that makes sense.

post-14509-133877404053_thumb.jpg

my impression of cheap bins is that one of the reasons they're cheap is the QC is lacking - so if you are lucky you get a decent pair but if you are unlucky you get a lemon. i bought very cheap bins a while ago and I tried out a few identical pairs. There were quite big differences particularly in things like the stiffness of the focusser. best thing to do if buying cheap bins is try them out first and not buy online. Better bins I think you probably can buy online cos the QC is likey to be better.

i might be wrong but that's just my experience.

I would agree, the QC on cheaper binoculars is practically non-existent so performance varies considerably. Best to try before buying. If you find a good one, treat it gently.

The above is why I made a resolution from the outset that FLO would not sell cheap binoculars (despite them being easy to source and offering a higher margin than quality binoculars) :D

I have Bushnell Nature View and H2O models and they are great. Found them excellent since the day I got my hands on them.

Have to say that there is a Bushnell binocular similar to the ones pictured that are stated as being Nature Views but they are a much older design, and when sold at an honest price are cheap. Think the pic is of porro prism bins and the newer ones are roof prism.

The only thing I can think of is: Have the eyepieces got wind out eyecups? And if so are you using them?

If they have then they have to be used to get the eyes at the right place.

If they haven't and you have glasses then I could see there being problems as the eyes may well be at the wrong position. Also if they haven't then the design is old.

If the bolt through the centre of the bins is a bit loose it is possible that your contact with the eyepiece is pushing the eyepiece not only in but also at an angle to the optical path messing up the collimation. If you can take them back do but, if you haven't got that option, you could try taking the cap of the end of the centre stem and tightening it up.

This model has the so-called Insta-Focus system from Bushnell as far as I know. This is supposed to offer a quick focus system but I guess if it gets loose (or comes out of the factory loose as per some suggestions) it would probably give the problems you describe.

Archived