Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Wocha...from Barnet !!..can you help ?

neilep

Hello Everybody,

I'm Neil from Barnet, Herts/North London and I have just bought my first ever telescope and I wonder if I have bitten off more than I can chew icon_smile.gif It's a Skywatcher Explorer 200 EQ5.

Phew !it's a big thing ! icon_eek.gif

I am an absolute novice and newbie to the world of telescopes and despite the manual being somewhat lacking in detail I have managed (i think) to correctly assemble it ! As far as everything else that I need to do to ...to get it working right,... is another matter. Though, (jumps for joy) I believe I have balanced it right ! All, I need to know is understand all the terms and how to use it !!..why don't they supply a glossary ..I suppose it's because they expect a modicum of knowledge already !..that's not me at all...I am a laymans layman !. I have always been fascinated with the sky...but have never ever looked into telescopes until I discovered about the Skywatcher.

What are the chances of someone being local to me who might be able to assist me in the final setting up procedures ?..and literally have enough patience to explain what everything does ?

I have tried to find a local astronomy club but the nearest I have found is 40 miles away ! Does anybody know of any closer to Barnet

LOL..wifey is pulling her hair out as to where I am supposed to store it. I imagine it should be OK in the garage yes ? At the moment it it set up in the dining room ! icon_biggrin.gif

Anyway, I love the forum and now that I have my own telescope I took the dive and joined up...

Best Wishes to all

Neil

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi and welcome to SGL.

You have bought a mighty impressive scope. It will last you a lifetime and enable you to see almost everything thats worth while seeing.

It's a steep learning curve but you will eventually get to grips with it. My advice would be read, read and read everything you can on this forum and many others about your scope and astronomy in general. If you cannot find the answer to your question just ask on this forum, someone will know they always do.

Hi Neil and welcome to SGL

I, and many others around here, have a similiar set up so whatever questions and advise you need you'll get here. I would suggest visiting the equipment section and do some searches first then ask your questions there, also try the beginers and tutorial sections.

John

Hi and welcome to SGL.

You have bought a mighty impressive scope. It will last you a lifetime and enable you to see almost everything thats worth while seeing.

It's a steep learning curve but you will eventually get to grips with it. My advice would be read, read and read everything you can on this forum and many others about your scope and astronomy in general. If you cannot find the answer to your question just ask on this forum, someone will know they always do.

Thank you so much Mick for your kind welcome.

Yep, steep learning curve I have ahead of me but I am consoled with your assurance that I will eventually enjoy it !..of this I have no doubt.

I will take your advice and read, read and read !!

Thank you again ! :D

Neil

Hi Neil and welcome to SGL

I, and many others around here, have a similiar set up so whatever questions and advise you need you'll get here. I would suggest visiting the equipment section and do some searches first then ask your questions there, also try the beginers and tutorial sections.

John

Thank you very much John. I am most humbled by the kind welcomes i have received and feel quite at home already that the equipment I have is well known. All of a sudden ..I'm not alone ! :D

I am sure, like you say, that this site will be a most valuable resource !

Thank you again

Neil

Hi Neil,

Welcome to SGL.

John

Hi John....and thank you very much for the welcome.

I'm enjoying the site already even though I just flicked the top of the iceberg of it ! .....I'm also enjoying my scope very much......even though I'm talking about it more than using it right now ! :D

Thanks again

neil

Neil, I am around the corner, Enfield - North London if that helps. You have PM. BTW Welcome to SGL, Haringey Astronomy Society will be most closest to you. Depending where in Barnet you live.

Thanks Deneb....I appreciate your kind comment & Pm. I'm in New Barnet so Haringey is nice and close.

Thank you again for your help :D

Neil

Hi and welcome to SGL, Neil. :D I hope you get the scope help you need.

Hi Talitha,

Thank you also for your kind welcome.

I am already receiving some wonderful guidance and am ever so grateful for everybody input.

Thank you

Neil

Hi Neil from me as well :D - its a beautiful scope and you can upgrade it almost forever. My own is a testament to that.

I'm sure peeps round here will jump in and help if you have any questions or are stuck. I'm a bit far from Barnett (thos I used to be in a band that was based round Barnett years ago.

I'm in Redhill / Reigate but if your ever down this way and stuck for an answer your welcome to pop in.

Hi Neil and welcome to SGL,

Congratulations on the new scope, you'll soon get to grips with it, and be seeing amazing things through it.

This is a very helpful forum, and people will answer any questions you might have.

You could try my website, I have the entire Messier Catalogue including a description, photo and star map for every object. Also what to see this month in the night sky. www.astronomycentral.co.uk

Good luck

Hi Neil from me as well :D - its a beautiful scope and you can upgrade it almost forever. My own is a testament to that.

I'm sure peeps round here will jump in and help if you have any questions or are stuck. I'm a bit far from Barnett (thos I used to be in a band that was based round Barnett years ago.

I'm in Redhill / Reigate but if your ever down this way and stuck for an answer your welcome to pop in.

YAYYYYY !! ASTRO-BABY !!!

Your very own website I know already is going to prove EXTREMELY useful. I have posted in your other thread too......

THANK YOU very much for your warm welcome and I appreciate the generosity of your kind support. Everyone here is so chummy that I already feel part of the family !

Yayy..Hugs the Astro-baby !!...

Hi Neil and welcome to SGL,

Congratulations on the new scope, you'll soon get to grips with it, and be seeing amazing things through it.

This is a very helpful forum, and people will answer any questions you might have.

You could try my website, I have the entire Messier Catalogue including a description, photo and star map for every object. Also what to see this month in the night sky. www.astronomycentral.co.uk

Good luck

Hey Betelguese,

Thank you also for your generous welcome and most definitely the valuable resource that is your own website. Wooo !!..nice ' galaxy of the day '.

The stargazers lounge is a wonderful place and I am very grateful for everybody's kind attention.

It's really nice to know that the scope I have is well received too.

Thank you

neil

Hi Neil,

A very warm welcome to SGL, looks like help is forthcoming with your new scope, try down loading the free program Stellarium, that should help you point your scope in the right direction, if you want to study the Moon then try the Virtual Moon Atlas, although this does take up a lot of space, but there is a shorter version, a very good read is the well recommended Turn Left at Orion, enjoy your scope and the forum.

John.

Hi Neil,

A very warm welcome to SGL, looks like help is forthcoming with your new scope, try down loading the free program Stellarium, that should help you point your scope in the right direction, if you want to study the Moon then try the Virtual Moon Atlas, although this does take up a lot of space, but there is a shorter version, a very good read is the well recommended Turn Left at Orion, enjoy your scope and the forum.

John.

John,

Many thanks indeed for your kind welcome and for the advice regarding stellarium. I will do that right now.

Virtual moon sounds fantastic *goes to check it out*...Whoa !!! looks amazing !!..Yes, I think I'll try the "light" version !!..Thanks also for the book recommendation..Orderd !!

Thank you

Neil

Archived