Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Quantity or Quality?

I'll probably get flamed for this, so donning my aluminised suite here goes.

I'm still trying to put together my re-starter telescope package and going round in circles. What I first came up with was a Megrez 90 on a HEQ 5 Syntrek mount, 3 eyepieces rings etc from FLO, then looked further and realised that I could get a Skywatcher evostar 150 on a EQ6 Synscan and a Baader SA filter for the same or less.

My situation is that due to my narrow garden an obsy is out, also due to encroaching trees I need to observe from just outside my back door to see East and North-East, while to see South I have to move 40'+ down the garden, so it needs to be reasonably movable, though I could break the lot down if need be.

LP in west London is pretty nasty, so I'm thinking planets and the odd brighter DSO, with some photography of both, but 70-80% visual.

I still have the main bits of my old 8" f/8 single-beam Newtonian which I may resurrect. For reference, the optics come in at 12Kg, which I find fairly easy to maneuver

So.....after rambling on a bit, a small-ish high quality semi-apo on a mid-sized mount or a big-ish achro on a big-ish mount? Would I be right in thinking the HEQ 5 wouldn't be up to the job of mounting the old Newt?

If you've born with my ramblings this far, thanks and I hope someone can crystalise my ideas.

Dave

hi

i have a 6" f/8,3, it is really nice, and opens the possibility for DSO in a way a small scope wont.

i also have others, ed80 X2 and a newt., but i will not get rid of the 6" before SW comes with a 6"ED.

alfi

Many thanks Steve.

I guess it's getting to check-the-bank-balance time.

Dave

Um alfi posted while i was typing.

But for practical reasons I'm still leaning to the Megrez, unless anyone says the Evostar is easily portable as in my OP.

Archived