Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Orion XX14i Dob and possibly larger Ultraportable!!

Looks like David Lakehurst and Dave Kriege at Obsession have some competition from the Chinese in the Ultra Compact market now. Theres a better pic of the UC on Orions Facebook pages and it looks different enough from the other designs for this to indicate that it wasn't just a Orion PATS booth staff member showing off his Obsession UC. Looks like a 16" F5

The only problem with the Orion XX14i v the SkyWatcher 14" is that Orion is imported from the far east into the US first, and then sent on to the UK, hence the high prices charged in the UK.

SkyWatcher on the other hand comes directly from the far east to the UK and so the prices in the UK are usually a fair bit less than Orion.

I'm betting the SkyWatcher 14" will be a fair bit cheaper than the Orion 14" when it eventually is available here.

John

Its total all up weight is 120lbs. Doesnt sound so portable to me :D

8Lbs shy of the 16" Lightbridge but for that you are getting a better built scope. The 8 pole truss is much better designed, The base is 1" thick laminated wood instead of 3/4" laminated chipboard. Its going to be stiffer and with the side braces even less prone to flex. Its got built in counterweights. Better mirror cell and collimation bolts. And the base can be dismantled with captive knobs.

If it borke down into 120 parts it would still mean you'd have to carry 120lbs - would just mean more trips to and fro to the car :D

So which would you be most capable of taking to the car? One 120lb lift or 6 20lb lifts?

Which is more likely to fit in the car? A one piece 120lb telescope or 6 smaller pieces that can be arranged as suits best?

More parts, more portability (within reason!!).:D

Archived