Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Jupiter animation

lukebl

Hi all,

I've had a plan to image Jupiter over a period of nights, and then join the images together in an animation to get a complete rotation of the planet.

This has failed completely due to cloud, variability of seeing, exposure settings, boredom or whatever. However, here's my attempt at 2 hours-worth this evening, based on 100-second movies shot every 15 minutes. It's a bit jerky as the seeing varied from fair to diabolical. There was a period around 21:10 when the seeing was really good, but deteriorated rapidly towards the end.

Just wondered if this is about the best that can be achieved with a 200mm Skywatcher, 3x Barlow and an SPC900 webcam. Or could I do better if I sorted out my collimation/webcam settings/seeing?

Any comments would be welcome.

Best wishes,

Luke

post-16549-133877400956_thumb.gif

post-16549-13387740096_thumb.jpg

They're very respectable images Luke.....wouldn't mind seeing a couple more singles from the animated sequence posted.:o:D

Collimation is one area where huge improvements can be made if the scope's collimation is out, and refining your capture settings is also beneficial.....but I have to say that collimation and seeing are "king" as they say.....

Allways check collimation before starting any imaging session is the mantra!

Without in any way down-grading your images I am sure there are considerable advances you can still make with your scope in the above.....as you've noted, seeing can vary over a session and it is not unusual at all to find at any one specific timespan seeing can suddenly improve (or degrade!!!:)) markedly - that's why we have to be prepared for the long haul during a night's imaging session....!

I'm still searching for that night of top seeing even though it is well past opposition.....everyone sets bar heights that they hope (and/or pray:rolleyes:) they can top that "next time".....but full marks for this effort!!!:):)

.....but full marks for this effort!!!
Many thanks for the kind comments, although I can't possibly approach the quality of the fine images you've been posting. ...not unless I get some new kit and move to some clearer skies in the southern hemisphere! :o

Kind regards,

Luke

I hope you don't mind me tinkering??

Many thanks, Clayton, tinker away!

I'd like to get better detail, but I think I'm getting to the limit of my webcam/scope/seeing combo, particularly with Jupiter so low in the sky.

... or could I still get more?

Regards,

Luke

• 2 weeks later...

Archived