NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Jupiter - pushing an ED80

mightymonoped

Thought I'd try this to see how it'd come out.

ED80, TAL 3x barlow on EQ5 using TouCam 840K

300/1008 frames

Binked into individual bmps RAD using RAD video tools

ppmcentred using Ninox

back into a centered avi then processed with Registax

resampled at 1.5x Lanczos

Deconvolution and noise reduction using Image Analyzer

Curves using PS2

Saved as jpg for web posting

Tony

post-12982-133877399599_thumb.jpg

Yes, they are mighty fine Jupiter images with an ED80.....just about made my own mind up on buying one of the Chinese 127mm apo triplets as a "travelling scope".....I have been equivocating between spending some stashed-away readies on various choices - but with these ED80 images of yours MM, I'm thinking my cheapest option (the 127mm at around $1000) will serve me well for deeper space imaging to compliment my own ED80 and Canon lens widies.....and placate my planetary impulses when I'm away from home without the C11.....:):o:D

Brilliant images. One question - why did you use RAD/ninox to do the processing? Surely registax does this? Or are the results significantly better by processing outside of registax?

The RAD/Ninox routine is basically pre-processing before using Registax.

The RAD tools are used to break the avi up into (in this case) 1008 individual bmp images. The ninox tool then centres and crops each bmp file, then the RAD tool puts them back into an avi again.

This makes it less work for Registax and also makes it easier to identify a decent frame to use as the reference for alignment.

Tony

Hi Tony,

Do the RAD/ninox tools get you a better result or is it just saving registax processing? Also, how does it make it easier to identify a better image - simply as you have 1008 bitmaps to look through?

Thanks

Andy (always trying to learn better methods :o)

A bit of both I think. I generally only do it with Jupiter/Saturn and it makes it easier for me to align in Registax as my avi invariably wander around the screen due to the innacurate polar alignment and dodgy motor drives. Having them centered reduces the chance of 'shooting' off target when running alignment.

In term of finding the best frame, that's where the grunt work comes in:)

I usually do a scan through the framelist in Registax and skip back and forth trying to get a 'gut feel' for a decent frame. I know there are lot's of more scientifc ways of finding the best reference image, but it seems to work!

Tony

Andy,

I'm sure that 9.25 will deliver spectacular results (jealous moi?).

I didn't mention the following but it is relevent I suppose.

Shutter speed - either 1/25 or 1/33 then bring the gain right down.

Gamma - zero

Saturation - 50%

..and most important of all...

Focus, focus, focus - I use a £40 Orion autofocusser which just makes those tiny little adjustments that much easier - wouldn't be without it.

Tony

Hya Tony, do you know if there is a more user friendly version of Ninox, one that's not cmd line operated ??

Karlo

Not that I've found! I only use it very simply as the defaults seem to work just fine for me.

I simply RAD dump all the bmp files into a ninox_files folder, then have a .bat file I execute from the desktop that does a simple...

cd c:\ninox_files

c:\ninox-2.48\ninox -overwrite *.bmp

then I pull all the files back into RAD and delete the contents of ninox_files when I'm happy.

Tony

Not that I've found! I only use it very simply as the defaults seem to work just fine for me.

I simply RAD dump all the bmp files into a ninox_files folder, then have a .bat file I execute from the desktop that does a simple...

cd c:\ninox_files

c:\ninox-2.48\ninox -overwrite *.bmp

then I pull all the files back into RAD and delete the contents of ninox_files when I'm happy.

Tony

You make it sound soo simple :o:)

Archived