Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Triffid nebula (M20) from Salisbury

Tim

This was the target I really wanted whilst at the SP, as it is never visible from home. Sadly I only managed to get 9 x 600 secs in Ha, and just 3 x 180 secs with a broadband blue filter, and even then the light cloud had drifted across. So here is the Ha version, and an rgb that has been cobbled together with fake green, weak blue and ha for red.

I was amazed to see that even 3 sec frame and focus exposures were showing the Ha part of the triffid clearly on screen, even with the 7nm Ha filter in place, and also that the whole region is simply swimming in Ha emissions.

So this little taster has really whet my appetite to do this one properly sometime, but it will take some planning.

Thanks for looking.

Imaged with SXV-H9 camera on a WO72 tube.

TJ

post-14037-133877394412_thumb.jpg

post-14037-133877394419_thumb.jpg

Excellent detail in the H2 emission region Tim, but I think, as you have laready hinted at, the reflection nebula (blue region) is going to take a bit more action. Many of the narrowband images of this object concentrate on the emission portion only. I guess this one could potentially be a very long project with it having such a southern position.

Steve..

Archived