Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Jupiter shadow transit

michaelmorris

Here's a quick process of the first capture I made of tonight's double shadow transit on Jupiter, Pictured are Ganymede and it's shadow. Europa starts transitting in the next few minutes. Europa and Io are also just visible either side of the disc.

PS - Just realised that I have yet again posted in the observing forum instead of the imaging forum. :):BangHead::):BangHead:

post-13232-133877392399_thumb.jpg

I assumed the shadow behind Ganymede was from Europa following close behind. Is it definitely from Ganymede then?

As far as I can tell it is. I've looked on the excellent 'Planets' applet at cpac.org.uk and on Redshift 5 and they both seem to show that it's Ganymede's shadow. Who am I to argue with such illustrious sources?

As you can perhaps guess, the clouds have rolled in at the moment so obsreving/imaging Europa + its shadow is not possible at present - hence the time to post this reply.

Nice one

just doing the same here

hope mine come out as good

I've popped in for a beer and bug break

the little bug****s are driving me mad tonight

still clear at the mo only got about an hour left before the garage roof comes in to play

mine will be B&W when I eventually get round to processing

Steve

The cloud has well and truly rolled in now so I'm just about to pack up. I managed to get a few frames of the double transit, but the gain was way up high and the seeing was lousy, so image quality could be better. Here is a quick process of one of the best captures. You can see (right to left) Ganymede, Ganymede's shadow and Europa's Shadow

post-13232-133877392403_thumb.jpg

Archived