William Optics odd aperture sizes ?

Hi just wondering what is the thinking behind WO offering scopes in the odd aperture sizes, ie 66,72,88,98,132,152 is it just because they can or is there some kind of marketing/performance reason.

Cheers Mick.:)

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As explained to me by a telescope designer you can improve the performance (CA etc.) quite a bit by masking down the aperture of a refractor by just a two or three mm. In other words it can really improve the performance of an APO scope not to mention keeping costs down (cost savings on lens and cell used). It's an old but effective optical designers trick.

Is this the reason for the odd sizes of some of the WO scopes? That would be my guess.

John

They do seem to be moving into the more high end lens/cell market from what i remember. I'm sure the 98 is a russian design/manufacture as is the 152

Indeed it is Andy, the 98 is designed (and some say built) by Astreya. Not sure about the 152 though.

Tony..

The WO seller i was chatting to, had a table at Kielder. Can't for the life of me remember his name. Hell of a nice bloke. We were quaffing a pint before chucking out time at 2pm. Terribly uncivilised ;-) He liked short wheel base Land Rover Defenders.....drool.

Andy.

There was stuff on cloudy nights regarding this subject. Some of our cousins across the pond were miffed that us europeans were/are getting these scopes before them !!

Andy.

ps: The 152 is defo russian. Exactlly who? The 158 is tiawanese(sp?) in origin.

ps: The 152 is defo russian. Exactlly who? The 158 is tiawanese(sp?) in origin.

According to WO's website, The 152 is a LZOS lens cell while the 158 was 'designed by a leading Russian optical designer'. Possibly Astreya again?

Tony..

That's it Tony.

LZOS are one of the oldest russian optics mfg and are of the highest quality, i believe and are being used in the apm-germany tmb line of scopes.

I had heard that the 158 whilst russian designed, was manufactered in Tiawan. No slight intended on tiawan manufactured lenses.

Andy.

Do astro-physics use astreya to manfacture their glass?

Never ever ask that question on Cloudy Nights, unless you actually want to witness the messy sight of outraged Americans exploding with insane rage! You may as well just ask if Astro Physics source their optics from China! :)

Never ever ask that question on Cloudy Nights, unless you actually want to witness the messy sight of outraged Americans exploding with insane rage! You may as well just ask if Astro Physics source their optics from China! :)

:):rolleyes:

Even the mention of Japanese glass used to be enough to cause a kick off a few years ago!!:)

Archived