Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Red Dot Finder Help

I have a Skywatcher Explorer 150P. I’m struggling with 6 X 30 finder so thought I would invest in a red dot finder. I see from previous threads that the Rigel Quickfinder and the Telrad are held in some regard. What about the Baader Super Sky Surfer V? Is it worth more than double the price of the other two? I have seen the Telrad and thought that it looks a bit on the large size for my OTA .

Any one have an opinion about what I should buy?

I don`t know about the Baader RDF but i have a couple of the Skywatcher cheapish ones and they work fine, simple to align, mount onto your scope point scope at something nearish ( i use chimney pots) once in the center of your scope align the RDF with the two adjusters to the same position as the view in the scope and thats it, i find them very easy to use and i don`t think you have to spend alot of money on then at all.

The Rigel Quikfinder is very good, almost as good as the Telrad, and it is small and lightweight and is ideal for the smaller scope. The Telrad unfortunately is large and bulky, so is better on the larger OTAs. I have both and do prefer the Telrad in actual use, but it's just the size that puts me off using it on a small scope, and you're not giving up that much with the Quikfinder. I have used the Baader SkySurfer III and it is a lot better than the similar looking Skywatcher and Celestron ones.

I use both the red dot finder and a right angle 9x50 erect angle finder as I find the problem with all red dot finders is that in typical urban light polluted conditions you just can't see that much. It's great for getting close enough to what you are looking for and then switching to the regular finder to zero in.

John

The Baader Super Sky Surfer V is quite different to both the Rigel Quikfinder and Telrad. The Super Skysurfer V is essentially a gun-sight that has been modified for astro use so its build quality and precision is in an entirely different league. However, it is a single-dot finder so doesn't display the 'bullseye' reticule employed by the Quikfinder and Telrad. Some favour the simplicity and clarity of a single spot whereas others find the reticule useful when star-hopping (the reticule can be used to measure the distance in degrees between objects).

HTH.

I've been using a Skywatcher RDF that came with the scope I bought. It's easy to align but it took my a little while to get used to the idea of looking through the sight into the night sky. Sounds obvious but I struggled for a while to get myself 'in line' with it, particularly when the scope was at awkward angles.

Also, I have now left the RDF on twice now after viewing sessions - it's very easy to forget to turn it off! Finally, I have found that sometimes the red dot obscures smaller objects which makes precise targetting difficult. However, I should say that I am an absolute beginner and the minor issues I've experienced are most likely faults with me and not the RDF!

Cheers,

Adrian

As a tip Adj, when looking through the finder (of course one aligned with the scope! _ try a distant tv aerial or a street lamp when you have time to dark adapt again or whatever) try using both eyes as binocular vision. If you use both eyes simultaneously you can get in the habit of what you see with one eye will overlap in your brain with what you see in the other (albeit at higher magnification and brighter with the finder). Difficult to describe, but try it and you'll see what I mean.

Never did get on with unity magnification finders beacuse they always show less than you can see with the naked eye - not much, especially in a sky lightened by the moon or pollution. The bigger the better, honestly I think 8x50 is about the least worth bothering with. As for right angle finders - I find them impossible to point at anything; straight through is fine, don't care about erect or inverted image as you get used to either.

If you really, really want a plain, no-magnification finder, try making one using a curtain ring and a V block mounted on the tube in the manner of an open V sight like those built into traditional rifles. No battery needed & no half-silvered mirror to rob light.

I agaonised between a Telrad and a Sky-Surfer V for ages. The Telrad is probably the better for finding things with but I onl;y wanted something simple so bought the Sky-Surfer V.

The SSV is bombproof, its very well made and I find it very useful even with GoTo - its brilliant for getting the alignment stars lined up I find. Especially for the dreaded firt slew when the scope can miss by a mile.

Its also handy when you want a view of where the scope is pointing to give someone else a clue as to where to look for things.

I'd suggest try both - bear in mind the SSV is also quite a big bit of kit - its not that much smaller than a Telrad.

• 4 months later...

Archived