Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What EP for planetry with 8" SCT

I have changed from an F6 Newt to a 8" SCT and am wondering what EP's to get for planetry viewing? I do have a 4mm and 5mm TMB Clones but I think these will be too high powered for the SCT? My thinking is I sell the 4mm and 5mm and buy something around 10-12mm?

perfect!.. go for Ortho's if your eye can handle them, they are a little narrow but super sharp to boot!. You will no doubt find the TMB clones a little soft in an f10.

Rob

I do have a 4mm and 5mm TMB Clones but I think these will be too high powered for the SCT?

Yup. I find the best reasonably available EPs for planetary work with an f/10 SCT are Baader Genuine Ortho 12.5mm & 9mm, usually I find the 9mm is too powerful for the seeing.

On my 2000Fl 200K, I regularly use a 9mm UO HD ortho and 12mm UO Konig to very good effect for high power work.

As previously suggested I'd also recommend the Badder orthos, as long as you don't need the wider eye relief you may be used to with the tmb planetaries. Ortho's really do give good, sharp views. Good value for the money imho.

Cheers,

Andy.

Archived