Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

very very basic book please!!

Hello everyone I'm new to this forum and decided to join after just returning from a trip to Egypt and seeing the stars from the sinai desert, it really amazed me and at 41 yrs old I just realised I could not name one single star!!! Luckily we had experts with us who had a top notch telescope and all the knowledge we needed was really fortunate!! We were able to see saturn and its rings!!(do I call saturn it or he/she?)

I really want to learn the names of stars and improve my knowledge, at the moment I can spot the plough and the north star( maybe does not sound a lot to you guys but it feels so good to be able to do this!! Tonight Im going to try to find Leo (if it's not cloudy!!)

I would really like to buy a basic book that would help me find different stars and their patterns. I looked on amazon at books, but to be honest I dont know from which perspective the author is viewing them from, and if the book needs to be written from a uk view(I dont know how I manage to make stuff so complicated!) but after reading through some of your posts on here I was hoping one of you guys could help.

Also I would really like one of those lazer beam thingy's that can be used to point to the stars so I can show my kids where im looking, are they expensive and where do you get something like that(our guide used one when showing us the stars.

Sorry this thread got so long but I have a tendancy to over explain stuff!!

Big big thanks

Roo :)

Laser pointers can be picked up from ebay, the green beam ones are best, but be carful not to point it at any aircraft, even by accident you'll get a wacking fine when caught.

Oh I did not realise they are that powerful!!

Dont seem to be able to download stellarium properly! Is there an alternative type of site that has a view of the skies?

Cant wait till it gets dark tonight hope it's not too cloudy!!!

'Stargazing with Telecope' by Robert Scagell is a very good book about telescope equipment and accessories. Get an up to date copy and it has reviews of some currently available scopes and mounts.

Regards

Richard

Roo,

You need a telescope to get the most out of Turn Left at Orion, although it is a fab book as you get to know a bit more about astronomy.

I would suggest a planesphere, which you can pick up from WHS. Then dial in the date and time on the edges and voila you have the stars you can see. No computer bits to drag into the garden. It's only drawback is it isn't good on planets.

I have also picked up a book called Night Watch by Terrence Dickson, it's got some good detail on picking up the basics.

Hi Roo,

I am new to the world of formal stargazing and have recently invested in the Phillips books Guide to Stars and Planets and Stargazing with Binoculars. Whilst I haven't read all through them yet they do both seem to be good guides along the lines of what you're looking for.

But, even cheaper is the star charts in Sky at Night magazine which I also invested in. The magazine is very good as it positions many things for a layperson to understand (just as well in my case). Given a compass and the star chart I have already made some great progress in identifying constellations and planets (despite the clouds).

Roo, Philips do a small one called Star Finder (£4.99) I picked one up at WHSmith.

It covers just the constellations. Will say that it is a bit small and as said JUST the constellations and main stars.

Turn Left at Orion is good but is intended for a small scope (or big scope). I may actually read my copy one day.:D:p:eek::evil4::eek:

I have The Monthly Sky Guide by Ridpath. Like this as it tells what planets are around, meteors, eclipses and which constellation is high and what to see in it that month. Suspect others do the same but that is the one I have/use.:):icon_confused: The monthly sky guide covers about 5 years worth of what to see then you need the newer edition. Suppose it keeps the royalties coming in.:evil::p

Planisphere is good but you have to lern/know how to use it. Then again they all tend to supply a star chart that you need to learn how to interpret.

Had a great time finding some of the constellations last night! Really big thankyou for all your help and suggestions!!

Its so amazing to be able to look up and see the great bear and draco the dragon after looking at the books!! I think its going to be cloudy tonight :-(

This site is amazing there is so many interesting things to read up about!! I never reallised just how much is going on above us!!!!

as 1 poster says stellarium is free and a fantastic program.

i own starry nights digital download and starry nights pro but i

like stellarium the most believe it or not it is easy to use

i also purchased 2 books the stars by h.a.rey nice and easy book

to help finding the constellations and a good price

and also turn left at orion i got them from amazon dot com

good luck and may u have clear skies

Bootes - pronounced BOH-OAT-EASE

You might like this link - its got sound files for all the pronunciations of constellations . I always get them wrong myself. Wish there was something like this for the less well known stars. THis only lists 21 of the brightest. Thankfully Messier catalogued his lot by numbers not by even more obscure names :)

Skywatcher's Pronunciation Guide

Roo,

You need a telescope to get the most out of Turn Left at Orion, although it is a fab book as you get to know a bit more about astronomy.

Bit of a misconception here - Turn Left is a good book for telescope owners, true but it also has plenty to see with the naked eye and binoculars.

It is essential reading for anyone interested in astronomy.

Try your local library - they are bound to have a copy you can borrow without the expense of buying it.

An older book I know, but the one that still earns its corn for me it The Observers Book of Astronomy - by Patrick Moore. I've had mine since I was about 13 and it's great for beginners but written in a style that lasts a lifetime. Not sutre if you can still get it and often see it at car boot sales.

Good luck

I'd suggest Stars and Planets by Ian Ridpath. I bought this book from the JFK space centre when i was 11, and it's what convinced me to get into Astronomy. I also know its the same book that the guides at the Glasgow Science Centre planetarium use, and for having no prior knowledge of Astronomy they know their way about the skies just from using that book!

Also on the subject on the laser, I managed to get a 30mW one from ebay for only £16 delivered!

They are particularly handy for pointing out things to other people!

Good Luck!

Stacey

The Backyard Astronomer's Guide i found to be a great introduction to the more practical, hands-on aspect of astronomy. Particularly on explaining some of the more esoteric aspects of equipment, and giving some good solid sensible advice on how to get started.

Have to say, as a beginner, I don't particularly find Turn Left at Orion very interesting or rewarding to use. I find it a bit prescriptive and dry. It's more fun to muck about with Cartes du Ciel for any given night to plan what I'm going to see along with that pull-out section of the current month's Sky at Night magazine. Also, hanging around somewhere like this and seeing what people are up is great for pointers too.

Archived