NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Hi everyone + Newbie question

Harmartolos

Hi from not so sunny Cornwall, :)

I'm just getting into astronomy but have been interested for years.

I've done the binocular thing, but what has really got me interested is my Son bought me a secondhand Meade refractor (60mm) on Ebay - quite literally with his pocket money, and it has blown me away.

So far I've been out looking at Jupiter and the Moon (weather permitting) and find I am keen to go further.

My question is; are the cheap German 6" & 8" Newtonians from Seben, Sylvan etc on Ebay any good for the money (about £150 with p&p), or should I go for the smaller Celestron & Skywatcher 4.5" which cost about the same? I'm far too impetous to save my pennies for any longer.

Many thanks:)

Hi Harmartolos (interesting name!) from just as not-sunny Devon! From what I have heard, the Seben optics are not brilliant - but I hasten to say that's only hearsay and I apologise to any Seben owners for any offence!! However, I am certain that if you spend your loot on a Skywatcher scope, you will not be disappointed - I can say that from experience. If you hang on a while, you will get many more opinions from SGL members with far more experience than I.

Welcome to SGL :)

My instinct is to go with the best you can afford. Skywatcher are fabulous, I have a 5" (this one in fact Reflectors - Skywatcher Explorer 130PM ) and I have been so pleased with its performance. As they say, 'buy cheap buy twice.' Stick to the quality brands that receive brilliant reviews and you won't go far wrong - also, if you buy from a proper telescope dealer, they should be able to give you impartial (and most importantly) correct advice on your purchase - it's the most important astronomy purchase you'll ever make in my opinion, setting you on the road to discovery.

Welcome to SGL :)

If possible stay away from Seben scopes and if possible go for a well known make. Check out our sponser's website First light Optics, the link is at the top of the page.

Here's a little trick you can try - check the re-sale prices on flea-bay, that is the people who bought Seben, look at how much pre-loved scopes are getting. Not much is the answer... for a reason. Compare with TeleVue/SkyWatcher/Meade/Vixen/Takahashi etc... tells you something huh?

Personally I'd plump for a good second hand scope for that kind of money, its well worth asking your local astro soc if anyone has a spare scope littering the garage.

it`s all to do with light gathering, i.e. the bigger the mirror the more light you can gather the more you can see, trouble is the bigger you go the more expensive it gets, for a first scope a 5" or 6" is great, won`t break the bank, then you need to think if you want a mount that will track the stars or not.

Hi Harmartolos and welcome,have a read of the equipement pages and tutorials it may give you some help,also have a look at the for sale pages and then ask questions if not sure,loads of help and advice from the members they are all helpful,regards ron.s.g.ps don't rush to spend check things out first.

Archived