NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Does anyone recognise this?

:)Hi everyone,

I took this photo on 18th July at 23.25 BST in Croydon, looking East, maybe a bit Southeast. Since then I have played around with the image in GIMP trying to get a constellation that I can recognise and match up to something in my Star Atlas or planisphere with absolutely no success!

My Canon 1000d was hooked up to my 102slt.

IMG_0615A.jpg

A couple of days previously I took some widefield shots of Cygnus and Vulpecula (with just the Canon) which are easily identifiable - they were much higher in the sky than this.

It's really annoying me :iamwithstupid:and I'd be VERY grateful if someone could put me out of my misery!

Thanks very much,

Liz

:D

Thanks Merlin and Mark - lol - that's the problem!

I thought it was 'underneath' Cygnus (ie closer to the horizon). Trouble is when I looked at the chart in the Sky at Night mag the next day there wasn't a constellation there! :) Not as far East as Pegasus ... and at a higher altitude than Jupiter which was appearing a bit further South.

Do I sound confused? :p (I really am!!) I have been scrutinising charts and different versions of the image and it's driving me mad!

Just a long shot but does any one have any ideas??

Thanks,

Liz

PS

This was the first time since getting the Nexstar that I hadn't been using 'goto' - I've obviously become far to reliant on it and haven't been 'learning the sky' at the same time.

There's a lesson in there somewhere ~ but I do love the fact that I can find things quickly and track them with the 'goto'.

Liz

Archived