Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Observation report, 20/07/09

Beulah

11:45pm - 2:00am

17mm, 26mm, 10mm & 9mm Plossls, 2x barlow & 0III filter.

Seeing: good to excellent

In the few months I have owned my 8" Dobsonian, tonight was the best night for observing. No wind, no clouds, and seeing was excellent with breathtaking views of the Milky Way as it stretched across the south eastern sky just off zenith. The last time I saw such good views of the Milky Way, I was nine years old. Reassuring to think that our skies can be still relatively clear.........

I am conscious of the fact that other people might not want to read my observational blatherings - but I hope that anyone who wants to purchase an 8" reflector will have some sort of idea what can be seen with the human eye to a telescope in a dark sky.

First of all, the Ring Nebula M57 - oddly enough this was putting on a poor show - looking dimmer than normal and part of me wondered whether the starlight was affecting this, as even at 1am, I could see my way about in the garden.

Then it was Jupiter. Despite the seeing being "good to excellent" as opposed to "excellent/perfect", when the turbulence stilled, there were some really rewarding views of upper and lower equatorial belts with the 17mm & 10mm plossls. I had only just missed the showing of the red spot *sigh*. However it was enjoyable to follow Io's path close to the planet.

M94 in Canes Venatici was a just a fuzzy disk with a dominating central core.

The Sunflower Galaxy M63 was rendered as a slightly elliptical disc, bright central core and a fuzzy perimetre.

The Whirlpool Galaxy M51 looked great - with an 8" telescope, not "lanes" were present, but a pretty sight nonetheless.

Bodes Nebula M81 (and M82) were absolutely stunning tonight. Framed in a 26mm plossl, the two galaxies burned brightly with sharp definition. Definetely the best I have seen them tonight.

Down to Owl Nebula (M97) in Ursa Major - seemed brighter than previous observings, and was willing to reveal it's right eye when "blinked" with an 0III filter (an idea of Talitha's; simply hold the filter over the focused eyepiece to see what the object looks with and without the filter.) I was pleasantly surprised with this finding, as previous reports I have read from other 8" Scope owners seem unable to see the "eyes" in this elusive object.

Across to Saggitariusand I wanted to find the Lagoon Nebula M8 - again, a circular patch of fuzzy light with ill defined edges.

For some bizarre reason, I could not find Scutum, as I wanted to see the Wild Duck Cluster M11, after ten minutes I gave up and decided to turn to Saggita to have a peek at the Dumbbell Nebula M27.

Wow. I was lost for words. I have studied this nebula often, and usually see a circular fuzzy disk, last time with the 0III filter, did the familiar shape "pop" out.

Tonight with no filter, the shape of the dumbbell was well defined - shining quite brightly tonight. I thought I'd take my chances with the 0III filter again, but it seemed to lose contrast when "blinked"...when I got inside, I realised there was a dirty great thumbprint on the glass!!

Tried to find Scutum again............and failed.........

Last but by no means least, in Cygnus, I was rewarded with some fabulous views of the Veil Nebula NGC6960 - it took a good twenty minutes to find it, but it was a pleasurable search because of the rich starfields in that area. The 0III filter was firmly attached to the Ep this time!

Again, I was astonished by the fine, SHEER detail - like gossamer threads stretching across the sky, finer than any noctilucent cloud can render. Photographs do NOT do this any justice. It is definetlely something highly recommeded to see "live".

At 2am, my finderscope decided to dew up, so it was time to go to bed. :)

I never found Scutum. How odd.........

Fantastic report! There's a couple of objects on there I am hoping to bag myself - wonderful to know you've managed to catch them :D Really great write up, very enjoyable - 'observational blatherings' are my forte - you should see my note book :)

Would you recommend an OIII filter? Might have to give FLO a ring when I have some spare cash and get one!

A lovely report that made a fantastic read Sam. Please keep them coming.

You saw quite a few different types of objects Sam which always makes for an entertaining night. It's a shame you missed the M11 as this is a definite wow object.

Thank you both for reading! :D

Amanda, I feel I would need to have the UHC filter as well to be able to comment on the validity of owning a 0III filter, but my instinct tells me that it's better to own both. I have tried the filter on a lot of objects, and the only three I have found to be beneficial are the Veil, Dumbbell and the Ring nebulae. Well, let's just say the 0III filter needs to be named the Veil Filter! :) I think it's worth owning for a fantastic view of that beauty. I'm gonna have another peek at it tonight...

A lovely report that made a fantastic read Sam. Please keep them coming.

You saw quite a few different types of objects Sam which always makes for an entertaining night. It's a shame you missed the M11 as this is a definite wow object.

Thanks Doc :)

I will try again tonight.

I have an OIII and I recently had a look at a small planetary nebula in Aquila and no joke I could almost not see it with my 20mm lens but with the OIII it was obvious. It is the nebula that looks a bit like a gibeous moon...

I find with other like M42/M57/M27 it just improves the contrast of the nebula with the sky...

I still have not managed to see the Veil, will keep trying..

Mark

I have an OIII and I recently had a look at a small planetary nebula in Aquila and no joke I could almost not see it with my 20mm lens but with the OIII it was obvious. It is the nebula that looks a bit like a gibeous moon...

I find with other like M42/M57/M27 it just improves the contrast of the nebula with the sky...

I still have not managed to see the Veil, will keep trying..

Mark

It's a tricky beast to find. Had no luck a couple of nights ago, but seeing had deteriorated.

Cool, I'll give that P Neb in Aquilla a go with the filter on my next session. :D

I enjoyed it so much you have pretty much convinced me to buy a dob :)

Cheers for a great ob's

Guy....

You're welcome. :p I am a diehard Dob fan, although I am really looking forward to playing around with a relative's GOTO Cassegrain soon. You can't "image" so well with a Dob, but it's a real observer's tool.

Archived