Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

neq6 mount from rother valley optics

durr

Just received my new neq6 mount from Rother Valley Optics who have just moved to their new premises at

21 Station Road

Kiveton

Rotherham

S26 6QP

Phone number is still the same.

I had chance to try this monster out last night and must admit it is excellent, and not quite as heavy as I thought to lift. The tracking was spot on and slewed to the objects of desire without any problems. The mount is very stable and comes with two inch diameter legs which expand to a reasonable height even when using a refractor. The mount feels professional and rock solid with very little vibration, and is also very quiet when slewing around. I have also ordered the extension tube which they make just to give me that extra bit of height when doing photography. One thing I did note was how difficult the altitude adjustment screws were to move so I have ordered a new set from Bern at Modern astronomy which should hopefully improve the situation. Superb service from Ian & Adam at Rother Valley Optics & Bern at modern astronomy. Steve.

Very nice too :)

Can I just check please that you really do have an NEQ6? The NEQ6 is supplied with a wider Losmandy-type saddle and a counterweight bar extension piece. I ask because currently the only way us dealers can source this particular mount is by buying the Skywatcher Explorer 300p NEQ6 PRO then separating the mount and OTA.

I have also noticed that the standard EQ6 PRO's box now has NEQ6 written on the side, which is wrong, together with the product-code 854, which is correct :)

Steve, yes it does say the box is NEQ6 on the side, I did not really know what this meant but I thought I had better put it on for clarity. I will post a photograph later so you can see. Personally I do not care whether it is a NEQ6 or EQ6 but obviously for some one like your self this is important for business. To me it is just a great mount. Thanks for pointing that out Steve. Can you tell me what the N stands for. Steve

Steve, out of interest one of our EQsixes has NEQ6Pro on the badge where the latitude adjustment axis lies and yet it has no discernible differences from the other other one which says EQ6Pro. Not a Losmandy plate in sight. Since I don't ever want to let people down I have a full set of spares for the mounts, including handset. They are all slighty different from each other in terms of what buttons to press when, but I have no intention of doing any downloads. If it ain't broke...

Olly

...one of our EQsixes has NEQ6Pro on the badge where the latitude adjustment axis lies and yet it has no discernible differences from the other other one which says EQ6Pro. Not a Losmandy plate in sight.

Yes, I know another like that. I have a feeling someone in the Synta/Skywatcher factory has mislabeled the parts bins :)

If you have a heavy OTA then there is a clear advantage to using a Losmandy-style dovetail and saddle, otherwise the standard EQ6 is more than adequate. (It is possible to replace the standard EQ6 saddle with a Losmandy type saddle and the counterweight extension bar for a longer one).

Just read this thread and although I'm in Oz I just bought an NEQ6Pro a couple of weeks back.....as I've said to people on forums down here as far as I can discern the "N" stands for "Nothing new"....!

It is to all intents and purposes just the latest EQ6Pro.....but with a new badge proclaiming "NEQ6Pro."

The top of the mount with the 3 sockethead grubscrews houses the tapered fit Vixen-style dovetail saddle as a standard issue for this mount.....you can purchase here in Oz an ADM (US) manufactured fitting that holds a Losmandy saddle clamp for using a scope with Losmandy bar attached - I have done so for my new C11.....here in Oz other fabricators are also in the process of making what ADM provide for the NEQ6Pro.....and others are also refining the genuine Losmandy saddle clamp.

Quite frankly the Losmandy saddle clamp does no service to any reputation Losmandy has.....the concept of a sprung moving vicejaw to grip the scope's dovetail bar is good - but the Losmand employs 2 springs that I have sarcastically described as "hairclip springs" such is their puny capabilities....!:)

I am in the process of replacing them with stronger units.....the original are so weak that they don't allow the jaw to retract (which is associated also with the angle of the Losmany bar profile) and it just stays stuck, still gripping the bar and needing prising with a fine driver to get it to release.....hardly convenient when trying to take down a C11 from a tall pier at night.:headbang:

Here's a pik of these "hairclip springs" (genuine Losmandy!:))

.....as to the "jackscrews" that adjust latitude on the NEQ6Pro there are after-market ones that assist, but I find making sure the opposite jackscrew is well backed off especially for "raising" the back screw, and a little human assistance with the load on, it helps immensely....!:):D:D

post-16205-13387738573_thumb.jpg

It sounds as though the EQ6-pro is becoming the NEQ6, I wonder what they will rename the current NEQ6 with Losmandy-type saddle and counterweight bar extension?

ADM accessories are available in the UK :) and are built to a much higher standard than the original Synta (Skywatcher) saddle.

Following Kokatha-man's post showing original Losmandy springs, here is a closeup of one of the two springs fitted to the ADM saddle. ADM also offer a dual saddle upgrade for EQ6 and HEQ5 which accepts both Vixen and Losmandy type dovetails.

adm_losmandy_saddle_spring.jpg

HTH

Interesting Steve - I have checked out the ADM site but that was before I received the NEQ6Pro with the ADM adaptor and Losmandy saddle.....must revisit the site as it seems that the clamp you have from them has the jaw extending the full length of the unit on one side.....meaning that upon releasing the jaw tension with the knurled knob the Losmandy (or clone) bar is automatically fully released....?

My first thoughts when I encountered the above-related problems with my setup was that this type of construction would eliminate the bar "sticking" in the saddle - which also has something to do with the Losmandy bar and the angles profiled on it.....my only reservation being that "instant release" (by having the jaw constitue one side fully of the clamp) could result in "instant disaster" from a falling scope..?!?:):):icon_scratch:

• 2 weeks later...

Don't worry, ADM saddles (even the smaller Vixen-type ones) have a clamping jaw that holds the bar along almost the full length of the saddle with two clamps, springs and guide pins - the dovetail is not instantly released after unscrewing only one clamp :)

This ADM Losmandy-type dual mounting bar shows the design and potential of the modular system well:

adm_losmandy_dual_mounting_bar.jpg

Having just bought one of these saddles from FLO I can testify to their quality and their safe use. The clamps are very substantial and hold the scope firmly in place and will not release the scope when only one is in use. Of course you need to use common sense when unloading or shifting weight distribution, but as amateur astronomers that comes naturally. Steve

• 1 year later...

:blob10: I am not so happy with my NEQ6 - It makes a very strange rattling or vibrating noise as it slows down after a high speed move.

Nice servo sound when it is moving - sounds like no grease on the gears when it slows down??

I also cannot get it to align - always tels me I am 45deg out and fails??

Someone said do a factory reset.. But I just went through all the setup..

Oh well.

Regards,

John M

:blob10: I am not so happy with my NEQ6 - It makes a very strange rattling or vibrating noise as it slows down after a high speed move.

That's normal stepper motor noise and not really worth worrying about. Nothing is being damaged or worn out. Apparently it can be reduced if you're willing to open up the mount and pull out the motors for a fiddle. Can't say I've been bothered enough by the sound to make the effort yet.

The ADM dual saddle upgrade is worth every cent, especially if you're piling on heavier loads.

Synta's stock Vixen-style saddle isn't terrible - it actually works rather well for most OTA combos - but the ADM is definitely much better.

And even lighter loads flex much less when they're fastened via Losmandy 'D' series plates and saddles.

You just have to decide whether the upgrade is worth the extra $$$.

That's normal stepper motor noise and not really worth worrying about.

I've often wondered why Synta don't fix the problem at the production stage, it is a simple fix but even simpler if it was done at the the production line.

Archived