Nexstar 6SE or PRO 100 ED APO

Come on fellas I need some advice before I go and drop 800 USD for one of these scopes. I do like the fact that the Nexstar has the "GOTO" capability already included but I need to learn the sky anyways. I can always get a motorized gps mount later for the sky-watcher. I am new and this will be my first scope ever owned other than some low-end ones from my past. I am wanting something to view the nebulas and galaxies clearly as I can for the price point. The nexstar seems to have a bigger apature also so idk. I am just lost........ PLS HELP!

Celestron NexStar 6SE Special Edition Telescope 11068 - 6" Computerized Schmidt-Cassegrain Scope 11068-DEMO

PRO 100 ED APO - Sky-Watcher U.S.A. Telescopes and Optics

Hello and welcome to SGL.

If it's just nebulas and galaxies then a large 10-12" dobsonian will be your best bet. The scopes you mention will leave you unimpressed as they are not large enough.

So what exactly are the scopes I have listed better for, because I have considered the 10-12" dobsonian, especially since the price is a lot better.

Refractors are great for planetary as they have no central obstruction and can be pushed to x50 per inch power, so a 4" can be used up to x200.

SCT's are very small and light which makes them easy to use but they have a 30% central obstruction which reduces contrast. The C6 in terms of planetary viewing is about the same as a 115mm refractor. In terms of deep sky it has more light gathering than a 4" so will be better but it has a long focal length so you will struggle to get low powers.

A dobsonian has both aperture and low focal length so is the best of both worlds for nebulas and galaxies and they are cheap too as only one optical surface has to be made. They are excellent value for money.

I have the Skywatcher/Orion 8" F/6 dobsonain and it is excellent on both deep sky and planets. I bought some tube rings and attached it to an equatoral mount so it will track automatically. Highly recommended.

HTH

If your main priority is looking for DSO's then aperture is the key so a large 12" dob is fantastic at this.

The 100ED will be fantastic at observing and splitting Binary stars and general planetary observing. But with only 4" of aperture will struggle with DSO's except for the brighter ones.

The 6SE is a general all round good scope, does most things very well but you cannot put it in the same league as a 12" dob when it comes to DSO's.

I would agree, if it's purely visual then a large DOB would be a better bet.

The ED100 that you linked to doesn't include a mount of any description, or at least I cannot see one.

The ED80 and ED100's are also very popular imaging scopes.

Cheers

Ant

Of the two you have mentioned I would go for the Nexstar over the refractor.

A Dob would gather more light and show DSO's better but you have to find them and I guess like me you are not too familiar with the sky. So having a Dob and facing the problem of locating faint often difficult to see objects could mean that it never gets used.

We all have to start somewhere and I have found that a goto simply points me in the right direction. Use the goto and learn from it. Hell we do the same with books and no-one says don't read a book!

Other factor is that the Nexstar can be put in a car and used elsewhere easily. You do however need power for it so get a mains converter and car one as well. Forget running on batteries.

Just learn to set it up and align it. See a lot of complaints and most seem to be down to "What do you mean I have to align it properly?"

I think the 6SE is a better all round scope, but the dob fraternity are right. For DSOs, aperture is king.

Personally, I'm saving for one of these:

Dobsonians - Skywatcher Skyliner 300P FlexTube AUTO

...because it will track objects. I find "nudging" irritating with a conventional dob.

I find goto on the Nexstar useful, but increasingly don't use it. I enjoy the challenge of finding objects, and with good charts and finders, it's really not that hard. Each to his own, I suppose.

One point worth mentioning: you can get away with less expensive EPs in an F10 SCT. To get great views through a f5 dob, you really need to spend the money on EPs.

• 4 years later...

I know much time has passed since your question, but as I'm in exactly in the same quandary now, which one of the two specified (100ED DS PRO or Nexstar 6SE) did you end up with? My main requirement is a short setup time and I guess I woukld rather look at a quality image than a lesser, general one ... if that makes any sense at all!?

Archived