Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

A quick Bubble

Ant

Managed to get out and dodge the clouds for a bit.

The subs were taken Friday evening, the moon was nearly full - but I'm starting to get desperate!!!

20 x 2 minutes subs.

Followed Martins primers on

1. Curves & levels

2. Creating a star mask

3. Reducing bloated stars

Thanks Martin :)

2 minute subs are no-where near long enough, but I lost so many (even at 2 minutes) due to cloud that if I'd gone up to 3 minutes or longer I doubt I would have got any!

Cannot wait to try out some 5 or 10 minute subs.

Once again can I please have honest answers - good and bad.

I'm quite happy with this, but I'm not always the best judge!

Image resized to 50%, as it quite noisy.

Cheers

Ant

Thanks guys.

It'll be nice to see what I can get once the darker (longer nights) arrive.

Kevin, I revisited the image and tried to adjust the curves a little more, but it turned into a grainy mess. I'll try again tonight hen i have a little more time, but I'm not sure if there is anything left in the image to come out.

Cheers

Ant

So glad you managed to dodge those clouds ant :) I really like it - no expert but from what I have gathered about imaging over the past few months I'd go with Kevin's suggestion and get longer subs and more of them. Really enjoying your images ant keep them coming :)

Was this with an Ha filter Ant? As Steve says, it's pretty faint. That's the problem with long exposures they aren't all they're cracked up to be when half the exposure is of clouds! You did right to shorten the time. 2 mins is always going to be a struggle with Ha and, given your light pollution isn't that short with a broadband LP filter.

The image looks very natural and I think you made the right decision not to push too hard.

Ant, save these subs for when you can get longer ones, ad you can use them to get better star shapes if needed and more detail on the brighter areas.

Did you have a Ha filter?

PS. the difference between 10 and 20 minute subs on this target is staggering, if you can get your guiding to do 20 mins, go for that. You'll capture a whole world of outer nebulous regions.

Hi Martin,

No thats not with the Ha, haven't got around to buying one of them yet! I just used the standard Neodymium filter for light pollution.

I'll have another bash at the bubble another day, add some more data and see what we get.

Cheers

Ant

Then that is a great result.

BTW - use the background brightness to decide on exposure length. A background brightness of around 1500 ADUs works pretty well with the H9. Don't go below 1000 or above 2000. With your light pollution these will be pretty short subs using a broad band LP filter, 2 minutes probably wasn't far off the mark.

I think you did well to get as much as you did. The focus looks good because the stars within the bubble easily turn into a coagulated blob! This surely is a narrowband object at heart, I think. You'd alsways want an Ha component in a finished image. Wouldn't you? What do others think?

Olly

Archived