NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

IT IS FINISHED. Cats homemade observatory

Catanonia

It is not pretty, but it is mine, built by me :)

Yeah... Been fun and not the prettiest obs on the planet. Alot of rough edges that I can sort out later, but she is up and ready.

The scopes will still be covered with a motorcycle cover when the roof is closed, but we have had a good downpour today and it stayed nice and snug in the observing and warm area.

Heater, power, red light and chairs are all in and hopefully tonight will see the start of a new age for me and images. No more setup, 10 mins and away... :)

All done in time for the colder and darker nights ;)

JUST NEED A NAME NOW..... Any ideas ?

Pictures can be seen on my website under the observatory section. http://extraview.dnsalias.com/astrocat/Observatory.html

Is it weather proof as I can see day light through those gaps.

It's great for a mobile set up but a bit of a no no for a permanent set up.

But on the plus side I bet it cuts down the dreaded LP.

Is it weather proof as I can see day light through those gaps.

It's great for a mobile set up but a bit of a no no for a permanent set up.

But on the plus side I bet it cuts down the dreaded LP.

yes you can see daylight, and no not 100% waterproof, but the scopes are covered inside and the panels overlap downwards so no chance of water penetrating. I can line the inside later on if it does leak too much, but not expecting to have to.

So far nothing has got wet as the roof overlaps the walls alot.

And yes, LP is drastically reduced as well as setup time.

Had big rain storm and winds today and all as dry as a bone inside. Not a soggy carpet or wet scope in sight :)

Also had hot sun in between the storms and a lovely temperature inside due to the ventilated design of the sliding roof.

Only prob is the slidey roof sags and collects water. So need to stiffen it this w/e.

Other than that, I am impressed, very..

Nice work Cat, looks like your really getting stuck in!

btw I'm very fond of your M51 pic ;)

cheers mate.

I know i can do better with the M51 once I get the darn guiding cam working or swapped out :)

Such a large learning curve in about 6 weeks :)

• 4 weeks later...

Update.

Well July has been a month of rain, lots and lots of it. Heavy winds to boot and I am pleasantly surprised that the Fence Panel observatory has survived with flying colours.

Only a little leaking down the very edges of one paving slab, just slightly damp even after all the wind and rain for ever.

• 3 weeks later...

Yup need to get it treated over the standard stuff they use.

Me and the missus regulary sit in there with a few tinnies and laptops / music whilst i image away. One of the main reasons for making the warm room full size to fit more than 1 person in.

Archived