Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Refractor recommendations re: Skywatcher

Hello all

I am looking at different options for a refractor for general astronomical work, but something for really myself and my wife to use. I have a lot of background theory in astronomy and astrophysics, in addition to comparative planetology (I'm a geologist by training!).

I am trying to decide on a good compromise bewteen price, size (and weight) and functionality for primary target work on the Moon and planets, and also for scanning the sky for interesting objects. Basically something portable from the house to the garden.

I have got to a choice of the Skywatcher Evostar (F8-F10) and StarTravel (short tube - F5) ranges, mainly because of cost. In terms of objective, I am thinking of 102-120mm for a reasonable size. Which would be best for Lunar and planetary studies? We have some binoculars which are good for wide-field views, but obviously no comparison with a proper astronomical telescope.

Found another option with the Meade Bresser (Messier) range, similar specs but a bit more expensive.

The skies around our way are a bit variable, so sometimes it's good seeing conditions and other times not - so I would not be looking to push magnification too much beyond 100x.

If people have other suggestions, I would be most interested to hear.

Thanks

Lester

For achromat refractors such as the ones you're looking at, the longer the focal ratio, the less false colour you will detect when looking at bright objects, so I'd look at the Evostars over the Startravels if you're looking at Lunar and Planetary observing. I've never used the 100 but I've seen Jupiter through a 120 and looked pretty good to me.

HTH

Tony..

Hello Lester and welcome to SGL.

These are just the same as Skywatcher refractors (all made by Synta) and are very good value for money and will perform well on the planets .....

Clearance / Pre-Owned - Celestron Omni XLT 102

Clearance / Pre-Owned - Celestron Omni XLT 120

Light pollution does not have such a bad effect on planetary viewing so you will be able to use the 4" at x200 and the 4.75" at x240 - thats x50/inch of aperture.

The 4.75" F/8 will have a little more chromatic aberation than the 4" F/10 but I would still go for the 4.75" personally.

Your timing is good as Jupiter is on it's way round now and Mars will be back just after Xmas.

Best regards.

Lester

If I were buying new, it would have to be the Celestron Omni XLT 120.

Good sized aperture, looks really nice in white & blue and as Alex says it's a steal at that price.

With a focal length of 1000mm, you will want to push it more than 100x.

The Moon looks great in my 120mm F8.3 at 166x with a 6mm volcano top Ortho eyepiece.

Paul

Alex

I think Sky at Night magazine did a review on 5" refractors about 12 months ago and if I remember the Celestron Omni XLT 120 came out better than the Skywatcher. For the money the present offer is very good value. The mount is pretty reasonable as well.

Mark

Alex

I think Sky at Night magazine did a review on 5" refractors about 12 months ago and if I remember the Celestron Omni XLT 120 came out better than the Skywatcher.

Which is funny because they're the same scope!

Tony..

Which is funny because they're the same scope!

Not quite. This is one of those rare occasions where Synta have given the Celestron a different optic. the Celestron Omni XLT 120 employs an aspheric objective lens for greater control of aberrations. The Skywatcher Evostar 120 has regular spherical optics. (I wouldn't like to say whether that has actually resulted in the Celestron having a noticeably better performance...)

Anyhow, the Celestron's clearance price does make it the clear winner.

HTH

Hi all

Thanks for the information and advice everyone, all useful to know. One thing I wanted to ask was, is it better to collect the telescope from the shop direct or do mail order? I do like to test things beforehand :)

There are two places close to us, one near Cambridge and in London.

Lester

Personally I get my stuff mail order from First light Optics who are very good.

Sadly a scope I ordered from FLO had a manufacturing defect. The problem was dealt with both quickly and effectively. There are many vendors these days who make buying easy and problem solving hard. Some even make buying hard :). FLO stand out from the crowd in terms of superior customer service and is always my first choice.

PS - I do not work for or have shares in FLO :headbang:

If you are able to actually have your scope out and check it there and then i see no advantage in visiting a shop as long as you know what scope you want.

If you could actually use your scope at night at the store before you purchased then that would be a major plus but apart from that i see no reason to get one in the flesh so to speak.

• 2 years later...

The skywatcher evostar 120 appears to come with more eyepieces as standard as opposed to the celestron omni xlt 120. At the same price would it be better to get the celestron or the

skywatcher?

Also, which mount is better, the EQ5 or the CG-4?

(Im new at this and one of the above will be my first scope)

Cheers

Archived